• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Food Saver Question

Porky

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
How long will cooked meat stay if it is placed in a vaccum sealed bag in the fridge? I could not find this info in the literature. Thanks for your answers in advance.

Les:smile:

I have had stuff come out 2-3 months later and taste like the day I cooked it. But the seal has to be intact!

I have had stuff come out 2-3 months later and taste like the day I cooked it. But the seal has to be intact!

Bentley, From the refridgerator or the freezer?

Les, are you asking about the refridgerator or freezer?

Air tight seal... frig wouldn't recommend more than 6 weeks. Freezer, 6 months.

Fridge food doesn't last long enough. I free anything after 4 days. I've eaten year old grub from the deep freezer a few times and tasted like it was fresh. As long as there is no freezer burn, then it's good from the freezer. I've even had some smoked sausage that was about the 2 year mark that still came out great. My deep freeze isn't frostfree, your mileage may vary.

i usually freeze food from the fridge after a few days or i throw it out. i would say no more than 4-5 days before freezin or tossing.

How long will cooked meat stay if it is placed in a vaccum sealed bag in the fridge? I could not find this info in the literature. Thanks for your answers in advance.

Les:smile:

If about the time to remain the meat fresh, it depends
on too many variables.Vacuum sealing is best increasing
shelf life but the best way is to store when it is frozen.

Conflicts!
This is the problems if you don't store it below 38 degrees Fareignheit,
the meat develop these strains of clostridium botulinum that will grow
and produce toxins.

http//:www.ichatcatering.com

Foodsaver says vacuumed food will last up to 3 times longer than normal. I use their bags and the containers and have kept stuff for a week or so with no problem if it's sealed right.

I use the lunch containers for fridge storage. They are great.

If vacuum sealed properly, I believe you can freeze food indefinitely. I was rummaging around in the freezer a couple months ago and found a rib eye that I put in there in 2002. Grilled that sucker up and it was as good as if I had just brought it home from the market. I know, don't say it. I should check the freezer more often, but I kinda adhere to the LIFO freezer management philosophy. I'm almost afraid to go all the way to the bottom. No telling what may be lurking there.

Chuck

If about the time to remain the meat fresh, it depends
on too many variables.Vacuum sealing is best increasing
shelf life but the best way is to store when it is frozen.

Conflicts!
This is the problems if you don't store it below 38 degrees Fareignheit,
the meat develop these strains of clostridium botulinum that will grow
and produce toxins.

Important thing to note is that there has to be air as well. Generally 4 days in the fridge is good in a normal ziplock. Seal it up and stick it in one of the drawers you're probably good for over a week.

When I buy my side of beef my butcher vacuum seals the meat and I've had it in for 2 years.(found one package of Del Monico's I wasn't going to let go)

but the longer you leave it out before freezing the less time in the freezer you can keep it.

Back