Smoked tiger shark

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
One of my buddies got a nice tiger shark over the weekend. of course one of the things that he thought of first was giving me a piece to smoke. What a great bud huh? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Anyway, having never cooked let alone smoked tiger shark I went super simple...cracked pepper and sea salt then indirect with some oak. She cooked for maybe 40 mins and then a 20 min rest. The meat is a lot like striped bass and did not soak up too much smoke. The result was really good....very moist, great flavor, and it was a big hit. Thanks for looking....

Last edited:
That looks delicious - Just enough smoke to keep it interesting and "different," while not over powering the fish.

How did you remove the urea from the flesh? Sharks basically "pee" through their skin, via passing urea through the flesh.

Looks good, shark meat is delicious! Never had it smoked.

I've never heard of anyone eating Tiger shark, the meat looks quite white and meaty.

In terms of urea, it's a lot about handling, bleed it out fast, gut it quickly and many sharks taste good. Younger sharks and fish eaters taste better.

How did you remove the urea from the flesh? Sharks basically "pee" through their skin, via passing urea through the flesh.

I guess you learn something new every day....I had no idea sharks do that. I don't know how they got it out but the fish definitely didn't taste like a urinal cake :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I've never heard of anyone eating Tiger shark, the meat looks quite white and meaty.

In terms of urea, it's a lot about handling, bleed it out fast, gut it quickly and many sharks taste good. Younger sharks and fish eaters taste better.

The process is a constant cycle. Although I agree about proper handling, bleeding out has nothing to do with removing it from the flesh. Something base, like milk, through several soakings, will reduce the high acid content and make the meat more palatable.

I would've thought they simply wring the pi$$ out of it...BTW daninnewjersey, and only out of curiosity, what does a urinal cake taste like?

Oops, almost forgot...the meat looks delicious...nice work

Last edited:
Hate to be a downer but let your buddy know, Tiger sharks are Red Listed internationally.
They are a near threatened species, and critical for your oceans health.

Hate to be a downer but let your buddy know, Tiger sharks are Red Listed internationally.
They are a near threatened species, and critical for your oceans health.

Unfortunately many people don't care, it's a very sad situation. Not saying the OPs friend doesn't care, perhaps it was just not knowing.

I would love to try some and hope to in the future. Your pics are great. It appears to be lean. Did it retain moisture and tenderness?

We don't have many swimming in Illinois, but Id like to catch one on my plate

Back