MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred
Default Are beef prices starting to go down

I know brisket is not going down, if anything it is going up but it seems that other beef prices are starting to go down. A couple of months ago 80-20 ground beef was around $4 a pound at all the stores around us and steaks were through the roof. 2 weeks ago we went grocery shopping and ground beef(80-20) was $2.69# at wally world. Steaks were actually reasonable enough that we bought a few though i dont remember the price. i know NY strips were on sale $4.99 a pound.

So today i went grocery shopping. I know it is close to memorial day so there are sales, but of the 3 stores I went to the most expensive ground beef was $2.19# and Ribeyes were $5.99#. I love grilling some steak and burgers so I like these prices but wonder if I should stock up.

Seems beef is starting to stabilize around me, but I am wondering if others are seeing this trend and if prices are indeed starting to decline I wonder how long until brisket goes down to reasonable levels.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm still going thru my freezer. Recently at Sam's a whole rib eye was 146(maybe 156) and the thickness I like would have made 14 steaks. Thick Tyson chicken breasts were like
$12.99 for for 12-14 breasts. Select packer Briskets were 60-65 each. I may be slightly off on my numbers as it's been two weeks but I only bought chicken. Beef prices to me are "special occasion" only. I haven't quit beef, but right now a double or triple meat from Whataburger with green chiles/peppers/onions and jalapeños for under five bucks is a freak'n steal.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
I'm still going thru my freezer. Recently at Sam's a whole rib eye was 146(maybe 156) and the thickness I like would have made 14 steaks. Thick Tyson chicken breasts were like
$12.99 for for 12-14 breasts. Select packer Briskets were 60-65 each. I may be slightly off on my numbers as it's been two weeks but I only bought chicken. Beef prices to me are "special occasion" only. I haven't quit beef, but right now a double or triple meat from Whataburger with green chiles/peppers/onions and jalapeños for under five bucks is a freak'n steal.

mmmmm whataburger. One of the places I miss most from when i lived in Texas...That and Pancho's mexican buffet.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

I will second that on Whataburger, but pass on the Pancho's. They used to be good, but the last time I visited one, we were disappointed. I have to drive all the way to Alabama to find a Whataburger now! It is after all the "Official Texas Hamburger Restaurant" as designated by the Texas Legislature.

Blessings, with mouth watering
Omar

Old 05-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
c farmer
Babbling Farker

I hope beef isnt going down.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kimo1

Havent looked at beef last couple of days but ribs were down 47 cents as of yesterday.
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
Uncle Drew
Got Wood.

Nothing I have read indicates beef prices are doing anything but rising. It generally takes 2 years for added beef supply to hit the market due to the time it takes to breed and fatten up cows. Most likely, you are getting beef in sale. Always look at the sell by date when buying meat.

Get ready for pork to skyrocket soon with chicken following somewhat.
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I think the changes right now are competitive pricing for the holiday.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Bludawg

Quote:
You had to go there you just had to go there didn't ya that is my standard order ...... Now I want one and the closest Stand is 65 mi one way

Old 05-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
I hope beef isnt going down.
Sorry Adam it needs to come down. Guess you'll have to raise more cows to make up the difference!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #11
c farmer
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Sorry Adam it needs to come down. Guess you'll have to raise more cows to make up the difference!
We are maxed out for what the farm will support.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
16Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
You had to go there you just had to go there didn't ya that is my standard order ...... Now I want one and the closest Stand is 65 mi one way
Nearest 500 yards, five within 7 miles. Amen

Old 05-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
16Adams

All meats are kind of crazy. At Sam's that day raw chickens two packs were like 12$ Their rotisserie chickens off their spit were bigger and were seasoned and Cooked 4.98 each.

Last edited by 16Adams; 06-01-2014 at 11:39 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
Bludawg

Quote:
All meats are kind of crazy. At Sam's that day raw chickens two packs were like 12$ Their rotisserie chickens off their spit were bigger and were seasoned and Cooked 4.98 each.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #15
pjayt
Full Fledged Farker

choice whole brisket at Sams here highest I've seen 2.98 lb ground below 2.00 lbs at pig wig off and on probably 75-25 really good tho
Titan Santa Maria, RiverGrille cowboy grill
Blaze Professional Portable w/ pedestal
Thermapen one, Maverick Pro Temp PT100
Weston Pro-2300 vacuum packer
pjayt is offline   Reply With Quote