Dell Franklin's BBQ Event

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Any of you IT guys get the invite from Dell? I have been buying Dell hardware for 25 years at the companies I have worked for. It's about time they give me something for all my years of loyalty. Dell rented out the whole place after hours to announce their new line of servers. I can't remember hearing about anyone doing this before.

Can't believe I get to go and not have the long a** lines to deal with.

That is very cool. I left IT a few years ago, but even then too many levels in my org for anything like this to ever happen.

Nice...Congrats hope the event is fun and delicious. Take pics!

I hope they let us take pics. We have to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

That is very cool. I left IT a few years ago, but even then too many levels in my org for anything like this to ever happen.

How is life on the other side? IT is all I know. I have been doing it since I was in high school.

Please post a food review.

I might but I am not the guy to post reviews. I have been to a couple of the joints that everyone loves and raves about. I was not impressed. I think I am just way too picky.:tsk:

yet you have a red smoker :wink:

It is not OU red!!! (he keeps telling himself...:tsk:)

btw...check the brisket knowledge thread. Some guys over there are trashing you and yes I enjoyed playing along.:p

How is life on the other side? IT is all I know. I have been doing it since I was in high school.

It's funny. Now that I have to deal with IT to support my projects, I think that they are a bunch of idiots more intent on slowing things down than in actually accomplishing anything. Luckily (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), it is not my old department that I have to deal with. I have a new appreciation for when people feel like they are getting jerked around.

I hope they let us take pics. We have to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Dell: NO PICTURES OF THE SERVERS!

PL: "Heck with that, I could care less what the servers look like, let's see that brisket"

Ya we want to see the brisket, the hell with the Dell equipment...

You don't really think I am going to look at the servers do you? Unless they are serving brisket on servers I wouldn't even notice them.

It's funny. Now that I have to deal with IT to support my projects, I think that they are a bunch of idiots more intent on slowing things down than in actually accomplishing anything. Luckily (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), it is not my old department that I have to deal with. I have a new appreciation for when people feel like they are getting jerked around.

Several of my former co-workers/employees are in other IT shops now and have found that they do not like the big corporate IT environments. The companies they work for have implemented change control. You submit a request to make a router config change. Then you wait 3 days, maybe 7 and then your change gets approved and you make the change. These guys make $70k - $100k to sit around for hours on end waiting for one of their change requests to get approved. This is where users get frustrated. They think it is the server or network guy holding everything up. I prefer to work in the old school IT shops where I have control of everything and I trust my guys to do their jobs without me watching them 24/7.

I did not get an invite... but I doubt they will fly me from Ohio... However, I have worked in small and large shops, and while it is nice to have access to all systems, when 600 users cannot access something and they look at me, I can say nope, don't have access to that system but looking over my CM meeting notes, so and so was scheduled to make a change last night to that system... buhahaha.

Jeff

Several of my former co-workers/employees are in other IT shops now and have found that they do not like the big corporate IT environments. The companies they work for have implemented change control. You submit a request to make a router config change. Then you wait 3 days, maybe 7 and then your change gets approved and you make the change. These guys make $70k - $100k to sit around for hours on end waiting for one of their change requests to get approved. This is where users get frustrated. They think it is the server or network guy holding everything up. I prefer to work in the old school IT shops where I have control of everything and I trust my guys to do their jobs without me watching them 24/7.

Yes, to all of this. I don't blame the guys doing the work (at least not all of them). The governance process is ridiculous though, and some of them (especially the IT managers) use it as their "just say no" answer.

I work for Dell and didn't even hear of this. I'm going to go fishing for an invite.

What day is it for?

Any of you IT guys get the invite from Dell? I have been buying Dell hardware for 25 years at the companies I have worked for. It's about time they give me something for all my years

I'm not at the event, but i have pictures of those briskets from when I went there, and i'd gladly share those pics.

660a91ee216ce4826613a1cc5c174d32.jpg

bbcf036334069dffe41eaf0b0df5e651.jpg

c97c33a0b3c61aaf744dfef7f0bed48a.jpg

0ea687d947c9ada053393363cd6e704a.jpg

5d65f254ccf8a18b3fac5a2106b1ae29.jpg

Back