MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
earthling30
Full Fledged Farker

Default BBQ Sauce for Mopping and Dipping

Man, oh Man,
I found a BBQ sauce that I like. Found the original here: http://www.barbecueweb.com/sauces_ma...d_dipping.html

I tweaked it to my liking.

Recipe:
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 cups Apple Juice
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
4 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Garlic/Pepper Powder
Chopped Sweat Onion
2 tbs. Favorite Hot Pepper Sauce to taste
2 tbs. powder chili mix
1/4 cup brewed favorite coffee

Combine all ingredients and then simmer in a pan along side your beef, pork, or chicken on the grill. Use for both mopping and dipping barbeque sauce. I've also found you can simmer this on the stove top. Simmer it down to thickness of your liking. I personally leave it little runny so it want burn as easy.

I let my meat marinade with yellow prepared mustard and a dry rub before placing it on the grill.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Vonsmoker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Baby Back Smoke

Hi there,

I am very interested in your mop, one question, would you use it when smoking baby back ribs and how often?

I have a Weber performer and I'm planning on making three (3) slabs for this weekend and I'm going to use the Smokenator for the first time for them.

I can't get a wsm or bds yet so I opted for the Smokenator, had very may good write ups.

Well, just need some guidence for the ribs, and anything else you might suggest, Thanks!
Vonsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
earthling30
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonsmoker View Post
Hi there,

I am very interested in your mop, one question, would you use it when smoking baby back ribs and how often?

I have a Weber performer and I'm planning on making three (3) slabs for this weekend and I'm going to use the Smokenator for the first time for them.

I can't get a wsm or bds yet so I opted for the Smokenator, had very may good write ups.

Well, just need some guidence for the ribs, and anything else you might suggest, Thanks!
I’ve personally never cooked baby backs, only spare ribs.

I’ve recently started using the 3-2-1 method as suggested on here, I think or maybe some other website, but anyway. If I haven’t made it ahead of time of the stove top, I’ll make a fresh batch and place it on the hot end of my smoker to allow it to simmer and generate steam the whole time while cooking the ribs. During the first 3 hours I’ll spray the ribs down with apple cider vinegar about every 30 minutes to an hour (depending on if they are starting to look dry or not). When I wrap my ribs in foil I’ll spray them down with the apple vinegar and mop them down real good with this sauce. When I take them out of the foil for the last hour I’ll spray them down with more apple cider. By this time the sauce should be getting thick. During the last 20 minutes I’ll mop them down with the sauce.

Some of the pros on here may tell you different and have a far better method than what I described, but this method so far is working for me. I’m still learning the do’s and don’ts of my new smoker. I hope it turns out good for you.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Vonsmoker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks Earthling30, I will use your suggestios as a starting point.
Vonsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

sounds like a good sauce. thanks.
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

Interesting, yet simple looking sauce. I bet it was good. I would have added Nugrape instead of the coffee

By the way, what is "chili mix"?

22.5" Weber OTG
Kenmore gasser
1 Super-Fast Sunkist Orange Thermapen
Hungry Apt neighbors
Certified MOINK Baller

"Anything wrapped in Bacon has to beat not wrapped in Bacon!" - Desert Dweller / circa ~ 09-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
earthling30
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Interesting, yet simple looking sauce. I bet it was good. I would have added Nugrape instead of the coffee

By the way, what is "chili mix"?
The chili mix is just a standard pack of chili seasoning mix. I guess you can probably use chili powder instead, the chili mix pack was just what I had at home at that time.