MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
icemanxxxv
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Eastern N. Carolina

Anyone have a good rub suggestion for E.N.C. Pulled Pork. I'm to much of a noob here to access the recipes. Looking to do some pulled pork Friday.
Thanks
icemanxxxv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

My friend John (aka Sirporkalot) says that you start the butts off naked. No rub at all, until they are sweaty, then you heavily salt the butts with Kosher salt. See LINKY

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
rick51
Knows what a fatty is.

I've used this rub with good results:

3 T. brown sugar
2 T. black pepper
1 T. paprika
1 T. red pepper
1 T. salt
1 T. garlic powder

Rub and wrap the day before.

The old school eastern NC table sauce is just hot pepper vinegar (2 cups cider vinegar and 2 T. crushed red pepper flakes).

I prefer more of a tomato-based sauce, like this:

1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion and 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
rind of one lemon, slivered
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup catsup
2 T. Worcestershire
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. dry mustard

Melt the butter, saute the onion and garlic until tender but not brown, add the rest of the ingredients, simmer about ten minutes.
rick51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Salt and pepper on the butts, that's it. For the sauce, at most backyard pigpickins, nobody really measures. I start with some apple cider vinegar, then add salt, black pepper, cayanne, crushed red pepper flakes(you can stop there and be fine) then I add some worsetoshire, and depending on the crowd that's eating I may add a little brown sugar. Most folks will cook direct too( straight over the coals).

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Kosher salt!

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

S&P. And when they say their sauce is vinegar and pepper only...that's what they mean on that side of the state. No frills and it couldn't be better IMO.
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
icemanxxxv

Making North Carolina Pulled Pork. Pork Butt smoking now for almost 3 hours. Combination of Hickory and Apple Wood. Pan of apple juice under it. Normally I would be doing this on my Black Diamond Smoker but it needs some modifications, so this is the first time smoking on the Webber Performer using the charcoal snake method. Holding steady at 250 degrees. Shouldn't have to add any coals in about 9 more hours it gets wrap in foil and rest in a cooler for 4 to 6 hours. Pull it add the finishing sauce , cheep white buns and slaw. Yeuuuum!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

I usually spray or mop my Eastern NC style PP with a ACV base sauce about every hr after the IT reaches 165, just a thought.
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
icemanxxxv

Cooked the NC style pulled pork as per LANDARK suggested link on my Webber Kettle using the charcoal snake method. I got about 8 hours of burn off the original snake of charcoal and 8 pieces of wood (4 chunks of hickory 4 chunks of apple). I had the upper vent wide open and controled the temp with the lower vent. The Webber held 250 deg. with little adjustments I could have left it alone all day! I had a drip pan filled with apple juice under the butt. I added about 15 coals and another chunk of apple wood twice to the snake for a burn of 12 hours. I took the butt off at 190 deg. wrapped in foil and rested in cooler for 4 hours. Refrigerated and warmed at 250 the next day pulled it added finishing sauce and called over the neighbors. It was AWESOME North Carolina Pulled Pork samiches complete with slaw!