BGE Score ...Couple of questions

H

hammerz_nailz

There was some road construction on the way home, and when stopped I noticed this home and hearth place for the first time. They had an egg under a canopy with some other stuff so I stopped in.
They brought this egg in 2 years ago and haven't been able to sell it, so I grabbed it for an unbelievable deal :becky:.

Anyway ...I found the naked wiz site which looks good, but what have you guys done with a new egg besides cook on it?
Any breaking-in worries?
Is it ok if I store it outside?

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

you can store it out side but I have seem some that are really worn. Im sure is a combination between heat and exposure. There was nothing wrong with their function. Just worn looking

It sure is beautiful when it's new and clean.
I learned the hard way - keep your first several cooks low and slow to help the gasket set. I let mine third cook get way hot - 600-700 degrees. Melted shut. Not good.

No need to season, just start cooking. Use the bottom vent for most of your temp control. Have fun and congrats on your score.

It sure is beautiful when it's new and clean.
I learned the hard way - keep your first several cooks low and slow to help the gasket set. I let mine third cook get way hot - 600-700 degrees. Melted shut. Not good.

No need to season, just start cooking. Use the bottom vent for most of your temp control. Have fun and congrats on your score.

So I should wait awhile before doing pizza on the stones or even rib eyes?

So I should wait awhile before doing pizza on the stones or even rib eyes?

I'm not sure what the temp is that you're supposed to stay below, but honestly, I would wait for a few cooks at 350 or less before letting it get to searing or baking temps.

There are more knowledgeable Egg Heads here - maybe they'll chime in.

My first 4 or 5 cooks on my BGE were steaks at 500+. The gasket seemed to handle whatever I threw at it temp wise.

My gasket is spent now, but it has been over a year since I bought it. In my case, I think what has caused my gasket to get a bit spent is food drippings. The front side is far worse than the back side.

Get yourself a diffuser plate as soon as you can because that is what allows you to take the BGE to the next level imo.

And this forum is a great source of info as you probably know. :)

My first 4 or 5 cooks on my BGE were steaks at 500+. The gasket seemed to handle whatever I threw at it temp wise.

My gasket is spent now, but it has been over a year since I bought it. In my case, I think what has caused my gasket to get a bit spent is food drippings. The front side is far worse than the back side.

Get yourself a diffuser plate as soon as you can because that is what allows you to take the BGE to the next level imo.

And this forum is a great source of info as you probably know. :)

Glad your held - like I said, I don't know the temp to avoid. I do know when I emailed BGE customer service, they told me that this was a common problem with new Eggs and they sent me a free gasket. Not that I recommend trying to get a free gasket by melting one (needless PIA to get open and replaced)

Start cooking on that clean EGG. I have three of them and they all get stored outside. I do cover them when not in use. Try to keep your cooks under 400 Deg for the first few. If your EGG is perfectly sealed this won't have too much effect on the gasket. The newer gaskets have problems when the high heat from a cook escapes through the dome and base. This has caused quite a few of the gaskets to come loose from the domw or base. If it happens, and the gasket is still in good shape you can reattach it with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. If you totally burn it up talk to your dealer or BGE directly and get a Nomex gasket. They can and do handle the heat a little better. BGE makes a good product and stands behind them, you are the proud owner of an heirloom grill. Good luck

I would.
Do a couple of low temp cooks - let the gasket set, then crank up the heat.
Congrats on the new toy - nice score. What size is it?

It's a large ...kind of hard to tell with the wide angle lens.

I just got a BGE XL and my first cooks were at higher temps, 500-600 for steaks and burgers. This did not seem to affect the gasket. I liked the whiz"s site also< some very good infor there

Keep your temp down for the first several cook and cover it up. Also, go to the members section and look up "Rick's Tropical Delight" and check his older posts, he covers just about every question you could think of in his threads, with pictures! :) He's a member here, just on a sabbatical. Good Luck with your EGG and Have Fun with it!

Get a platesetter and pizza stone ASAP.You can also purchase an Adjustable Rig and accessories for iy at The Ceramic Grill Store.The AR is much more versatile.:wink:

Are you going to keep us in suspense? What was the unbelievable deal? I sure would like to pick one up someday, as a backup to my UDS.

Keep your temp down for the first several cook and cover it up. Also, go to the members section and look up "Rick's Tropical Delight" and check his older posts, he covers just about every question you could think of in his threads, with pictures! :) He's a member here, just on a sabbatical. Good Luck with your EGG and Have Fun with it!

Thanks. I'm familiar with Rick's posts ...always found them inspirational.

Get a platesetter and pizza stone ASAP.You can also purchase an Adjustable Rig and accessories for iy at The Ceramic Grill Store.The AR is much more versatile.:wink:

I picked up a platesetter on the way home at another store. It's in the egg in the 2nd pic.

Are you going to keep us in suspense? What was the unbelievable deal? I sure would like to pick one up someday, as a backup to my UDS.

It was 500.00 out the door for the large egg, nest, 2 pizza stones, bge charcoal, 3 bags various wood chips, 2 boxes of bge lighter sticks, the little ceramic feet for setting on a flat surface and two things to pull ash out of the fire box.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of table to build for it :-D

It was 500.00 out the door for the large egg, nest, 2 pizza stones, bge charcoal, 3 bags various wood chips, 2 boxes of bge lighter sticks, the little ceramic feet for setting on a flat surface and two things to pull ash out of the fire box.

Some parts of the country that would be called "STEALING", but here it's GREAT SCORE!!!

That is a great deal. Is the dealer dropping BGE? If so, that might make warranty issues a bit sticky going forward. I'd keep the receipt in a safe place and if BGE is stilling registering eggs, do that too. t

Back