Lump on Sale - Which would you get BGE or Wicked Good???

uncblue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I've worked a deal with asst mgr at a True value for 4-6 bags of lump..which do you think is better quality? BGE brand or WG WEW? I've used the WG and really liked it..the guy told me the BGE will burn even longer;

Prices - Addtl 5-10% off sale price for both if I buy 4-6 bags

BGE $24.99 for 20 lbs or WG WEW for $23.99 for 22 lbs

Do you all know of a better deal at a different location?

Thoughts? Thanks for the input....

Wicked Good all day.
e-yeah_that.gif

Wicked Good all day er day. BGE to my understanding is made by Royal Oak, which some of their product hasn't really lived up to the quality it once was. And even Royal Oak at top quality didn't have anything on Wicked Good.

So I've worked a deal with asst mgr at a True value for 4-6 bags of lump..which do you think is better quality? BGE brand or WG WEW? I've used the WG and really liked it..the guy told me the BGE will burn even longer;

Prices - Addtl 5-10% off sale price for both if I buy 4-6 bags

Do you all know of a better deal at a different location?

Thoughts? Thanks for the input....

Cowboy Lump at True Value $8.99/20#. TV website has additional $5 off per $30 order.

Lowe's Cowboy $9.99/20#

Ooops- never mind. :doh:

It depends. Those are two different types of charcoals. WG is very hard and thus takes longer to start and get going, but it burns a long time. BGE starts much faster but burns out faster. If your doing "short" cooks such as steaks, chicken, ribs, etc. BGE is best for you. But if your doing very long cooks like brisket, go with WG.

WOW! :shock:

Are you going to bring it home in your Ferrari? Twenty five bucks for a 20 pound bag of charcoal?

CD

It depends. Those are two different types of charcoals. WG is very hard and thus takes longer to start and get going, but it burns a long time. BGE starts much faster but burns out faster. If your doing "short" cooks such as steaks, chicken, ribs, etc. BGE is best for you. But if your doing very long cooks like brisket, go with WG.
This is dead-on!

When I purchased my egg a few months back I got a free bag of the BGE. Thought it was great and still do. I bought two more bags at 29.99 and then tried the latest run of Cowboy. I will never pay that price for BGE again. I really like the cowboy and just scored 240# at 9.99 for 20#.

I want to try the WG WEW but it is not available in my area and the shipping makes it cost prohibitive.

Thanks all for the feedback. I was inclined to just suck up the higher prices & buy while on sale but think I'll grab some of the Cowboy & give it a try. Thinking I'll use it for the quick high heat cooks and the WG for my longer smokes. Lump @ The Meathouse was about the same price.

When I posted last night, I had just started smoking a chuckie. Haven't tried it yet as it was late when i put it into the cooler but checked the lump in the fire bowl this am and there is still a majority left.

Has cowboy improved their product over the past couple years. The last I bought at HD was mostly scraps of tongue and groove flooring. Thanks.

Has cowboy improved their product over the past couple years. The last I bought at HD was mostly scraps of tongue and groove flooring. Thanks.

Cowboy lump has vastly improved their product. The Cowboy that is produced in Mexico is a superior product to Royal Oak. 100% of the lump is chunks of trees and not scrap wood from a mill. Very little unusable dust/chips. It is denser than Royal Oak but not as dense as Wicked Good Weekend Warrior.

After purchasing one bag and trying it out, i went out and bought another 5 bags.

Smoking K - Where do you purchase, if you dont mind me asking..Only location that I've seen here in the Raleigh area that has WG is Ace hardware/tru value...Definitely going to pick up some Cowboy to try for searing steaks, jerk etc that doesnt take that long..

Thanks all for the awesome advice...Sun was an epic day of grilling/smoking..:wacko:

Just did a 17 hour cook with Cowboy. All tree lumps no scraps. Still have a lot left in the cooker.

I kind of find that Wicked Good from Ace hardware is spotty. I have watched them throw the bags around when I bought 6 of them awhile back. They don't seem to understand they should be treating it like a dozen eggs. I really like WG but put up with the weird stuff I occasionally get in the bag. I find the BGE lump to be more consistent in size. Between the two, I would get the WG.

Back