• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Spicing up Barbecue Sauce

WiscoKid

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just looking for some opinions on what you folks use to spice up your barbecue sauce, be it home made or from the store. I make my own sauce and someone asked for a hotter version and I am unsure which chile or hot sauce or spice to use to heat it up. Thank you!

Just looking for some opinions on what you folks use to spice up your barbecue sauce, be it home made or from the store. I make my own sauce and someone asked for a hotter version and I am unsure which chile or hot sauce or spice to use to heat it up. Thank you!

I use a kansas city sauce for my favorite (works amazing on chicken and pork) ... to spice it up add a bit more Cayenne pepper. works like a charm

Powdered cayenne or chipotle will add heat without substantially altering the flavor of the sauce. So will Habanero Tabasco Sauce since the heat:flavor ratio is so high.

spicing up bbq sauce

I like to use hot sauce like sriracha or chipotle tobasco, as it seems easier to get smooth heat without a harsh bite, than using ground cayenne, habanero, etc. Another idea is to blend in a hot bbq sauce with the one you want to kick up.

Eric

Black pepper and white pepper. I love tons of black pepper in mine and it looks killer on your product. The white pepper adds a definite kick.

If you looking for just heat, then cayenne. For subtle flavor and heat, habanero Tabasco

i have a few different sauces, most of them include a small amount of hot sauce (i like texas pete), but i feel like the real heat in some of them comes from the crushed red pepper i use. i have another sauce that i use fresh jalepeno in and depending on how i'm feeling at the time i'll add the seeds to kick it up a little bit. i like my spicy sauces more on the tomato/vinegar side with not much brown sugar/molasses

Back