looking for a smoker

noyb72

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am designing an outdoor kitchen around a green Weber Platinum Performer. I want to install a charcoal smoker to go along with it. I'd be able to put 300 or so into the smoker and would add one of the air injecting temp controllers. I know my way around a wrench and can handle the install and any mods needed to make everything happy. This may sound cheesy, but this will be a nice kitchen and so a propane tank cut up isn't going to cut it aesthetically. I was thinking maybe another performer with a Cajun Bandit. I feed 6 regularly and have as many as 30 over during get togethers.

I am interested in any and all suggestions.
Thanks
Ronald

By 300 into the smoker, you mean $300, correct? (my first read I was thinking that was your target temp, but it wasn't making sense). I'd suggest taking a look at the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker 18.5", which is right at that price point and makes some excellent Q. I use mine with a PitmasterIQ for temperature control and works great.

Next thought is, if you're already getting a charcoal grill, why not use that as your smoker as well? Nothing keeps you from putting smoke wood on those coals and installing a temp controller for low/slow. Unless it's a question of additional cook area, or simultaneous cooking at two different temps, no reason that wouldn't work.

I would go with the smokey mountain.

I would consider increasing your budget a little and get the weber 22" WSM, if you plan on cooking for 30 people. You benefit a lot from the extra cooking capacity.

After much research and asking similar questions to yours two years ago, I went with the 22.5 WSM, and I've never looked back. I love it.

I would consider increasing your budget a little and get the weber 22" WSM, if you plan on cooking for 30 people. You benefit a lot from the extra cooking capacity.

This was going to be exactly my suggestion. For $500, you can get a 22" WSM when you catch them on sale and add a PartyQ. It's the setup I use, and it's just about flawless. I also have a Performer, and that's a great one-two punch for family cooking.

Craigslist deals can get you some savings for a WSM if you're patient enough

Agree, 22.5" WSM and an ATC of your choice. I have and like the Pitmaster IQ 120. The WSM is normally $499 unless you can find used. The IQ 120 is $199. You are probably going to want a thermometer to monitor pit / meat temps, and a Maverick 733 is less than $80. Only other mods you *might* need / want would be gaskets (BBQGaskets.com), Cajun bandit's Stainless Steel door, and a compression latch. All three of those will total about another $100.

With that and your Performer, you can easily cook for the family or 30 - 50 people...

The WSM is normally $499 unless you can find used.

I've been seeing them at Home Depot, Lowes, and Amazon for $399.
If you are a veteran and shop at HD or Lowe's to get the 10% discount, Weber will NOT let them give it to you on their products for some reason. At least that's what customer service told me at my local Lowe's.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001I8ZTJA/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1405016186&sr=8-2"]Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22-1/2-Inch Charcoal Smoker, Black:Amazon:patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-Nd4eZplL.@@AMEPARAM@@41-Nd4eZplL[/ame]

I was pretty sure this is the way I was heading, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks for the help. I'll start looking.

I am in the Navy, and have never heard of the Weber non-discount. I'll look into that.
Ron

Put an ad on Craigslist that you will pay "up to" 300$ for a Big Green Egg, Primo, Kamado Joe etc. See if you get any hits. Be patient. Specify delivered. Don't be scammed and robbed.

So, all my research has changed my plans a bit. I grew up in the rural areas of So-Cal, yes they exist even today. We were a truck driving family and I had a bunch of friends from the central coast that I'd visit once I started driving, and I grew up with a bunch of honest to God vaquero grandchildren. We always "BBQed" over an open fire weather it be a pit in the ground or a Weber kettle with the lid off, my grandfather told me the lid was only used when it rained! We always had salad and mac / potato salad and beans. I just thought that was what we liked to eat.

From going to links from pages I found linked here I have discovered that their is a name for what I grew up doing ( how funny is that) it is called "Santa Maria BBQ" and people even sell grills just for cooking top block and tri-tip.

So now, I'm going the Cajun Bandit route on my performer as a dedicated smoker and I will look into an entry level Santa Maria grill. I've found lots of them on this forum, anyone have recommendations on features to look for or to stay away from?
Thanks
Ron

Cool idea given your history. Stories to tell and new outdoor memories to be made. Can't help you with a grill recommendation, but sit tight and I'm sure someone will be along here shortly.

You can build a NICE and I mean NICE uds for 300 with a temp controller. (Sorry someone had to say it)

+1 on UDS. You beat me to it. Even if he were to go with a Stainless steel barrel to make it really fancy he could do it for under $300 with the some of the extra tempature gages and blowers.

Plus the stories I have gotten to tell about building mine and how unique they are to the average Wisconsin person is just awesome.

Talk about making some BBQ memories!!!

Back