MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
brandonh1987
Full Fledged Farker

Default Yoder advice

Hey all... Time to upgrade from my traeger (at least I hope it's an upgrade)

I am currently using the trager lil tex elite, and looking at the yoder ys480, though I have some questions on the quality and performance.

Yes am I looking for a pellet smoker, I also have an egg, but sometimes it's nice just to throw some meat on a pellet and let it go. So I am sticking with another pellet.

I am wondering for those who have used the 480 or 640 how they're built and how they produce. Currently my traeger only smokes for about 1 min every 5 minutes or so, and normally produces white smoke, rarely does it give me that thin blue smoke I am looking for, only if the temp is around 325 or so.

So I am curious how the yoder ys 480 or 640 smokes... Is it intermittion? Does it produce thin blue or heavy white smoke? How does the taste compare to a traeger?

Thanks!
brandonh1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

I don't own a Yoder, but my next cooker is probably going to be a YS-1500 based on my research.

From what I've seen, Yoder stands alone as having a constant thin blue smoke, and the ability to turn out almost-stick-burner flavor if you use good pellets.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I have used both.
Build quality on the Yoder is phenomenal! Your basic tank.

The only time I see ANY visible smoke is on initial start-up or "whiffs" during cold weather when cold pellets hit the burn pot.
Other than that--invisible.

Smoke flavor (depending on pellets used and time) along with smoke ring and all of that is great!!!

Traeger and Yoder are totally different animals.

TIM

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
veryolddog
On the road to being a farker

I have both the Yoder 480 and the Yoder Cheyenne Backyard offset wood smoker. They are both excellent. The 480 makes a fantastic brisket.
veryolddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
fracmeister
Found some matches.

I own a 640 and I get the thin blue smoke... Now if I didn't clean it very well I get some white smoke on startup! It is built like a tank and holds temp very well. I have used the top rack quite a bit (lay bacon out on it for 2-3 hours at 225 over any pork below! two magical things)...based on how evenly the bacon cooks I think the temperature is very even with the diffuser. With grillgrates on, diff out, panel pushed in and on full blast I recorded 675F just above the grates and can sear better than my old gas grill. At above 300 there is almost no smoke though... it just seems to smoke at the low temps.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

As the Pitmaster at the ATBBQ cooking classes, I regularly cook on both. Love them, so much so, that that I bought a 640. Both the 480 and the 640 are great but if you have the space, for $200 more, the 640 would be my choice. It is larger and more versitile. I really like how you can set up two cooking zones. But it is also great for small cooks as well. I also like hoe you can put full pans in it. It is the smoker that most folks get after starting out on a Traeger.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
TosaJake
On the road to being a farker

Absolutely love mine. Only complaint it is so damn heavy that I can't really move it around as easily as I like. HaHa. Just buy one!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Excellent build quality, consistent TBS with no puffs, great smoke flavor and great customer support. Yoder is an all around winner and if you have the space get the YS640. You'll be happy you went bigger. And get the second shelf and GrillGrates.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #9
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I use the 640 at the restaurant for ribs, chicken, beans, New York strip and turkey breast. I like the fact that the staff can get it started also. It is very easy to use and turns out a consistent product. As others have said, I only see smoke when I don't clean it well enough.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #10
Kjonge
Knows what a fatty is.

Some more love here for the ys640. I only get white smoke at start, pretty soon moves over into translucent color. I love the building quality and ease of use (although there is a bit of a learning curve)