• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How I Learned to Stop Worrying...

Single Malt Slacker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How I Learned to Stop Worrying (About the Temps) and Love the Feel (of the Bone Wiggling)
I would like to thank all of the members of the Brethren for their guidance and expertise with backyard BBQ. In short, I smoked a couple of butts for our 4th of July party and was able to fight the urge to pull the butts ‘because the temps are telling me to’ and wait until I could wiggle the bone and probed like butter all over.

I rubbed the butts on Thursday night with Meathead’s Memphis Dust, plastic wrapped them, and put em back in the fridge. I was up at 0410 on Friday, raring to go. I grabbed some coffee and went to light the Akorn. I used Royal Oak with apple wood chunks and settled her out around 250 and got the butts on at 0500. I then went about my day getting things set up for the party. The Akorn stayed in the 260 range with no issues. I took a peek at about 1000 as the smaller butt was showing an IT of 160 to see if the bark was darkening too much. All good, no need to foil. I took another peek at noon to see this beautiful sight and the smell was fantastic.

I ended up pulling the smaller butt at 1300 and the larger butt at 1500. Long story short (too late!) I was confident enough to ignore the IT the Maverick was showing me and I pulled the butts based on the bone wiggling and probing like butter all over. The PP was awesome and I received many compliments from folks who are no strangers to good Q.
So, my thanks go out to all the Brethren who have posted their experiences and shared their knowledge through the years, as I was able to override my analytical brain (and my desire to let data drive my decisions) and go with how things ‘feel’. Great stuff. Oh yeah, I nailed a tri tip as well, which was a huge hit with everyone. No one had ever heard of the cut.
Thanks to all for your guidance and willingness to share!

200px-Ben_Kenobi.png

Use the Force, Luke.......turn off the technology & trust your feelings..............

Thanks for the post, nice looking pork. You have inspired me to go technology-less on my next smoke. Sort of, kinda or, ah what the heck what could possible go wrong????

The only thing I'm struggling to learn to tell doneness by feel of my hand is brisket. I can tell with a probe, but I want to get to the point where pressing with a finger is all I need. I'm sure I will get there, but I'm not there yet.

Clearly the lesson is, the meat will tell you when it's done, and that is the best indicator of all, not temp.

How I Learned to Stop Worrying (About the Temps) and Love the Feel (of the Bone Wiggling)
I would like to thank all of the members of the Brethren for their guidance and expertise with backyard BBQ. In short, I smoked a couple of butts for our 4th of July party and was able to fight the urge to pull the butts ‘because the temps are telling me to’ and wait until I could wiggle the bone and probed like butter all over.

I rubbed the butts on Thursday night with Meathead’s Memphis Dust, plastic wrapped them, and put em back in the fridge. I was up at 0410 on Friday, raring to go. I grabbed some coffee and went to light the Akorn. I used Royal Oak with apple wood chunks and settled her out around 250 and got the butts on at 0500. I then went about my day getting things set up for the party. The Akorn stayed in the 260 range with no issues. I took a peek at about 1000 as the smaller butt was showing an IT of 160 to see if the bark was darkening too much. All good, no need to foil. I took another peek at noon to see this beautiful sight and the smell was fantastic.

I ended up pulling the smaller butt at 1300 and the larger butt at 1500. Long story short (too late!) I was confident enough to ignore the IT the Maverick was showing me and I pulled the butts based on the bone wiggling and probing like butter all over. The PP was awesome and I received many compliments from folks who are no strangers to good Q.
So, my thanks go out to all the Brethren who have posted their experiences and shared their knowledge through the years, as I was able to override my analytical brain (and my desire to let data drive my decisions) and go with how things ‘feel’. Great stuff. Oh yeah, I nailed a tri tip as well, which was a huge hit with everyone. No one had ever heard of the cut.
Thanks to all for your guidance and willingness to share!

What was your IT when your pulled the meat off?

Many years ago I was a control freak when it came to IT of the meat, pit temp and really everything else as well. Then after realizing that I was making something relatively simple into something hard and stressful I made the same decision that you did and I began enjoying cooking again.
It's kinda' like beating your head against a brick wall,... IT SURE FEELS GOOD WHEN YOU STOP!!!:wink::-D

I was the same way. Constantly trying to keep my temps dead on and pulling the meat at the perfect temp. I've gotten much better and happier by trying to cook within a zone. 25-50 degrees up or down and probe for tenderness and feel instead of living and dying by the thermometer.

Looks good!

Thermometers are just a gauge, one of many tools available to give you an idea of where your cook is at. It's nice to develop other tools to give you information, too, and you're developing some! Nice!

Back