Need Ideas for smoker

Team DD

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Actually, I am in the process of rebuilding my deck and my smoker will be sitting just on the outside of my deck. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for a patio or maybe even a top over my smoker so if I am cooking and it is raining, I am not getting soaked.

I can't put the smoker on my deck, too heavy.

Thanks,
Doug

Maybe a retractable awning? Perhaps a picture of your deck/smoker area would be useful...

Just got the poles set for the deck on Monday. Hope to get a little more work completed this week and then I will be able to post a pic of the area. I have attached a design of the deck and the smoker will be sitting beside the deck just off of the steps.

Attachments

• deck idea.JPG
    deck idea.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 211
A cantilevered umbrella mounted on the deck?

solaria-13-cantilever-umbrella.jpg

If you want something that its easy to take down, you can use a standard 9x9 canopy from a sporting good store. I have one that I bring to my tailgates. It will be big enough to keep the smoker dry as well as any utility tables. Plus it great for the summer months when you want some shade

Until I build a cantilevered overhang/pergola this is my temporary solution for the time being. The bbq area is still under construction as well.

P1070509_zpsbb8f7353.jpg

Liking the cantilever umbrella idea... Will start looking at them. Thanks!!

Actually, the cantilevered umbrella, pictured above, cost me about $100 shipped from Amazon. Nice, 10' diameter umbrella. The base was not sufficient under windy conditions so I bolted the base plate w/ 18" mounting post in the whiskey barrel planter, filled it half way up wth 100 lbs of gravel, then planted some succulents. I also added all steel swivel casters. The entire umbrella and post assembly can be pulled out from the planter base post in seconds.

If you go with one of those overhang umbrellas, don't rely on the stock base. They aren't sturdy enough.

Actually, the cantilevered umbrella, pictured above, cost me about $100 shipped from Amazon. Nice, 10' diameter umbrella. The base was not sufficient under windy conditions so I bolted the base plate w/ 18" mounting post in the whiskey barrel planter, filled it half way up wth 100 lbs of gravel, then planted some succulents. I also added all steel swivel casters. The entire umbrella and post assembly can be pulled out from the planter base post in seconds.

Yeah, I just did a basic Google search, and I didn't look at any deals. I am sure they can be found for less. Yours looks pretty stable and portable in that pot. :grin:

Thanks for all the information. Once I finish with the deck and make a decision, I will post a pic.

Worked on the new deck during the 4th. I have another question for you guys? What do you guys use under your grills on a wood deck? I have seen some bad reviews on the grill pads.

Oh lets see the redneck pool!
No good shots of the whole thing with the umbrellas...it is just an above ground $250 Intex pool on a "level" pad.

you can kinda see it on the left side of this pic...

null_zps66572dc3.jpg

Or this one...

null_zpse5d9b2ae.jpg

Back