• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS.. Single 1.5" vs Tripple .75" air intake

Single vs Tripple Air Intake

• Single 1.5" Air Intake with Ball Valve

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Tripple 3/4" Air Intake, 1 Valve, 2 Caps

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters
S

soapy_junk

I am in the process of gathering parts to build my UDS.. after reading though 500+ pages of the UDS thread i have a basic idea of what i want to do with my drum..

question is.. it seams the original meathod for air intake was to use 3 3/4" air intakes, 2 capped and 1 ball valve.. and latley you see drums with a single 1.5" intake with ball valve..

is there any pros or cons to either of the above methods?.. take cost out of it.. i know the 1.5" hardware will prob cost more.. but other then that.. just pure functionality..

The area of a 3/4" pipe is approx 1.75 sq in ( 5.25 total ) whereas the 1.5" is approx 7 sq in. therefore you would need 4 --3/4" pipes to equal the max opening of the 1.5" pipe.

The area of a 3/4" pipe is approx 1.75 sq in ( 5.25 total ) whereas the 1.5" is approx 7 sq in. therefore you would need 4 --3/4" pipes to equal the max opening of the 1.5" pipe.

area is pi*r^2, so for the 1.5" pipe you would use a radius of 3/4", not the 1.5"

area of 1.5" pipe is 1.766""
area of 3/4" pipe is 0.44"", three pipes would be 1.32""

when I built mine I had read where people were using four 3/4" intakes, which is the same area as a 1.5" pipe. So I used the 1.5" pipe. Mine is the only UDS i've used or seen so I couldn't give ya a comparision

3/4" intake = .44 sq in.

1.5" intake = 1.76 sq in.

Therefore, a 1.5" intake would equal four 3/4" intakes.

Cost aside, I personally like the idea of a single vent control, whether it be a ball valve, draft door, or whatever.

Back