MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
appliancedude
Knows what a fatty is.

Default salt free rubs

Anyone know of a good commercial salt free rub or rubs? My wife is not a big salt person. I bought some Yard birds rub, I liked it, but my wife thinks its too salty. She's done that with other rubs I've bought over the years too. Every rub I pick up has salt listed as the first ingredient. I know ya gotta have salt, but I can add it myself and try to keep the boss lady happy.
Thanks
appliancedude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

I've used some of the MrsDash stuff and it is pretty good.

I really like the Southwest Mariande probably the best Chicken Marinade I've had.

http://www.mrsdash.com/

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

There are some hints here. I recently asked for some insight on this and there it is.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
parrdist
Full Fledged Farker

I agree need more low or better yet, no salt salt rubs. If they are produced we need to buy them so they will continue to produce them. Also to the rub makers when you take out an ingredient, don't raise the price.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
caseydog

Make your own. I buy commercial rubs just for some variety, but I've been making my own rubs for years. You can make them exactly as you want them.

There is no reason a rub needs to have salt in it. Use some of your favorite herbs for flavor and pepper for heat.

If there is a good commercial rub you like, just make one with the same ingredients, minus the salt.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
KuradiEit
Knows what a fatty is.

Check out the Salt Free Seasoning from http://shop.ebay.com/newrivergourmetllc/m.html 4, 8 or 16oz. I use it as a base to make my own rubs. Brown sugar, kosher salt, garlic powder, whatever else strikes my fancy including some of their other spice blends. (No recipe, just "whatever." Never comes out the same twice and hasn't been bad yet.)
KuradiEit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Even though I don't care for it, Blues Hog rub doesn't have much salt.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I'd suggest making your own salt-free rub, but put on a light sprinkle of kosher first, then the seasonings on top of that. Even though the Mrs Dash's southwest chipotle and similiar is really good on stuff, I'm skeptical that you're ever gonna get as good meat without having at least a bit of salt on it. Salt will do amazing things all by itself, ie. a quick 2 hr dry brine on a chicken.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seasonings, and Rubs are a great Low Sodium Non-MSG Product

Old 03-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrdist View Post
I agree need more low or better yet, no salt salt rubs. If they are produced we need to buy them so they will continue to produce them. Also to the rub makers when you take out an ingredient, don't raise the price.
I think the increased price for salt free rubs is part of the reason they're not as popular. Well and salt tastes good. Can't really blame the rub makers for having to boost the price for salt free though just because salt is dirt cheap for the volume. Anything you replace it with is going to increase cost quite a bit.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
appliancedude
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
I'd suggest making your own salt-free rub, but put on a light sprinkle of kosher first, then the seasonings on top of that. Even though the Mrs Dash's southwest chipotle and similiar is really good on stuff, I'm skeptical that you're ever gonna get as good meat without having at least a bit of salt on it. Salt will do amazing things all by itself, ie. a quick 2 hr dry brine on a chicken.
Oh I agree. Gotta have salt. But I'll add my own to the bosses liking. When they list ingredients the first ingredient is always the highest concentration. All most all the ones I've looked at list salt first, thus more salt than anything else. I've never tried making my own rubs, but if I can't find something I'm gonna have too. Every rub I've tried she thinks is too salty. So now I'm checking the ingredient list before I buy. If it lists salt 1st or 2nd I'm not buying it.
Thanks all

Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
appliancedude
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
There are some hints here. I recently asked for some insight on this and there it is.
Awesome. Got a few names to be on the lookout for.
Thanks

Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
landarc

I gotta say appliancedude, the place I go to buy BBQ uses no added salt to their rubs, none is added. There have been a few complaints, but, overall, their brisket is excellent and does not suffer for the lack of salt or sodium of any form other than what is in the meat.

Last week, Matt absolutely nailed a brisket, the flat was moist yet tender, the point was incredible and no salt added at all. His BBQ has changed my outlook on salt being needed for BBQ completely.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote