16.22 lb pork butt

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
image.jpg

Bought a 16lb pork butt that was on sale. It is two of what i would normally buy, only it is all one piece. My question is, should I separate them and cook, or leave it as one big chunk? Probably be cooking on my drum, but possibly my egg.

That's not all one piece, when you open that plastic you'll find two pieces of meat.

Confused me the first time I bought a cryopack, but the only hunk of meat that big you'd get off a pig is a whole shoulder, which would look different from that in the plastic--it would taper more at one end and would probably still have the skin on.

100 bucks says that's two of 'em crammed together in there.....................

I would cook intact It should fit on the Egg without too much of a problem If two butts cook at the same time

that is 2 butts in 1 cryovac. If I get cryovac'ed butts its always 2 in a pack.

Wow, they must be pressed together pretty tight! Ok...well, that solves that.

Is that $2.99/lb I see?
I was surprised Wegman's had bone-in for $1.89, while my Costco is $2.49 (boneless, NBD).
Got a frozen Harris Teeter at $1.29 waiting in the freezer.
Cook one, vacuum pak and freeze the other.

Wow, they must be pressed together pretty tight! Ok...well, that solves that.

Whew! Crisis averted :becky:

They do jam them in the cryo, but if you look closely you can see the separation between the two and the two money muscles...

14576941736_ecac4a917e_c.jpg

Is that $2.99/lb I see?
I was surprised Wegman's had bone-in for $1.89, while my Costco is $2.49 (boneless, NBD).
Got a frozen Harris Teeter at $1.29 waiting in the freezer.
Cook one, vacuum pak and freeze the other.

Yeah, $1.98. The last ones I bought last summer was $.99 per pound. I gave up waiting for that price to return.

Back