First rib burnoff

Dyce51

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My family has tried to get me to compete in the past but I have always shied away from it. My wife and daughter entered me in a local Burnoff that will be July 4th. Any last minute pointers ya'all could give me? How much meat to take, entry says enough for 5 judges samples.

Good luck!

It's a little late, but I would do a dry run at home including setting up the same way to will at the competition. This helps make sure that you have everything that you need.

As far as how much meat, is it a one time turn in to the judges? If so, then it sounds like you need to turn in a minimum of 5 ribs. I would turn in 6 just in case you don't cut through a couple bones all the way and one judge ends up with two. Do you know how the ribs are turned in? Styrofoam container, plate? I would fill the turn in container/plate with meat since a full box/plate looks better.

For a typical KCBS competition I cook 4 racks to make sure that I have enough for turn in. Each rack cooks differently and I want enough to have choices for turn in.

if you only need to turn in 5 samples, i would definitley look into using the Hollywood cut. it works well for us when your only turning in 7 samples. just so the judge can easily get a healthy bite and taste that flava!

+1 hollywood cut, OR do 2 bone cuts.

Unsanctioned; the average person is going to want it nearly falling off the bone. Play to that. 2 bones allows it to pull apart easily, both demonstrating to the individual judge just how tender it is and then hopefully the bite wont disappoint. Otherwise, the hollywood cut does great.

Thanks for all the advice!! I will post pics and results after the competition!!

if you only need to turn in 5 samples, i would definitley look into using the Hollywood cut. it works well for us when your only turning in 7 samples. just so the judge can easily get a healthy bite and taste that flava!

What is the Hollywood cut?

What is the Hollywood cut?

Dep.. the Hollywood cut is where you cut down the edge of one bone, skip a bone and cut done the edge of the third. leaving a hunk of rib with a bone in the center with thick rib meat on each side. gives the judge/whatever a lot to sample on. which is great. also helps keep the moisture level higher. or so some say.

Tell us about the judges.

I'll assume the judges are just a bunch of folks off the street and not CBJ's. If this is the case go with as close to falling off the bone as possible (without actually falling off the bone) and over-sauced with a sweet sauce. If I had a buck for how many times I've heard: "BBQ is all about the sauce". Well, I guess I'd only have about 30 or 40 bucks, but you get the point.

In short, cater to your judges. CBJ's would require a different strategy.

as far as I know the judges are fair committee people and a couple of local chef's. I made a batch of my Sweet Apple BBQ Sauce last night and made it nice and Sweet.

Is garnish allowed?

If this is an amateur comp, most teams aren't going to garnish. Go to bbqcritic.com and check out rib entries. This will provide you a big advantage.

Because most amateur comp organizers only dig surface deep (if at all) in the KCBS rulebook for guidance, they usually do not weigh appearance, taste and tenderness differently. Therefore, a good looking box is really important.

Sweet wins.

Good luck!

My pointers is just to have fun . You will meet some great people . Cook great BBQ and don't over think everything . Just wait , this is the beginning. After today you will be hooked into the comp world. Get ready to open up your wallet. Once you start you can't stop. It's a addiction. May need to go to AA for BBQ .

OK I got an email that said the Ribs will be judged on Tenderness, Flavor and Appearance. So sounds like I should go for "fall off the bone" tenderness and definitely use my sweet apple bbq sauce!! I did buy some greens to "dress" up my box.

I am figuring on using the 3-2-1- method to make them fall off the bone tender and juicy! I started early this morning and trimmed the ribs and removed the "silver skin". Next I rinsed them off and patted them dry. I then mixed up a batch of my rib rub and generously rubbed the dry rub in real good and wrapped the ribs up and put them in the fridge to let the rub "soak" in. I figure turn in is at 7:30 tonight so I will get there and set the smoker up at 1 pm and get it heated up. I am still debating if I should bring my grill with me, (Some times I like to put the ribs on a HOT grill after I sauce them to "caramelize" the sauce) or if I should just sauce them and put them back on the smoker for the last hour......

Congrats! Your hooked now brotha! Ain't no denying it :cop:

Back