MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Default Curing Bacon:

To the Brethren who have had their hand at curing homemade bacon, I am just wondering if 7 days would be enough cure time? I used Morton tender quick and tomorrow will be the 7th day, and its gonna be up in the 30' temps tomorrow and it would be great if it was ready. I don't have a problem waiting till next week if needed. Thanks for reading and any insight is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I do dry cure at least 10 days for 2 kilo pieces,I like to firm it up a bit.
Cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

I did mine with TQ for 5 days before I smoked it and it came out great, however a little more time might have firmed it up a bit for slicing, still came out great. Be sure to soak in fresh water before you smoke to draw some of the saltiness out.
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

i've done mine anywhere from 5 to 8 days and all have been fine. i'd say i prefer about 6 or 7. i usually prepare mine on a friday and the following weekend i rinse, leave in the fridge overnight, then smoke the next day. so to answer your question, 7 should be enough, but you could leave it a little longer if you want.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
PitRow
is one Smokin' Farker

I would say it really depends on what cut of meat (loin, butt, belly?) and what size.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyokie View Post
I did mine with TQ for 5 days before I smoked it and it came out great, however a little more time might have firmed it up a bit for slicing, still came out great. Be sure to soak in fresh water before you smoke to draw some of the saltiness out.
Belly, 34.9 lbs. Three bellies;)

Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)

Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Oops! Quoted wrong thing there

Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)

Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I did two 5 lb chunks with TQ. Five days wasn't enough to get the cure all the way through the meat (fry test); I extended the cure for three more days and it was perfect.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
thirdeye

Using a skinless belly,... and a ratio of 1T of Tenderquick per pound (plus spices), and overhauling daily.... here is my timeline for bacon:

* Cure belly for 6 days..... 7 days if it a thick one.

* Soak-out for 8 to 12 hours

* Rest (equalize) for 12 to 24 hours

* Smoke for about 5 hours or until internal temp is 150°.

For a weekend smoke I'll start the cure late on a Friday evening, or a Saturday morning.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I did two 5 lb chunks with TQ. Five days wasn't enough to get the cure all the way through the meat (fry test); I extended the cure for three more days and it was perfect.
Did it still have the skin on?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I go by the rule of 2 1/2 days for every inch of thickness. However, I use pink salt and not tenderquick. But, I will say that you don't want to skip the air drying step in the fridge for the 12 to 24 hours before smoking.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

I believe it it time we all modernise our brining techniques and use the "Equilibrium Method". By doing this one knows exactly when the required amount of salt has been absorbed into the meat. It stops all guesswork. I provide a brief description (not mine) of how you creat an Equilibrium Brine:

Creating an Equilibrium Brine

Weigh water and food together, subtracting any bone weight, since salt will not diffuse into bones.

Multiply the combined weight of the water and meat by the desired finished salinty you want your protein to contain at the end of the brining process (usually .5-1% by weight).

Dissolve the appropriate amount of salt into the water and place food in the brine.

Use a salinity meter to take readings throughout the brining process. When the brine’s salinity drops to the desired finished salt percentage, you can conclude that your brine and food have reached a state of equilibrium and the bringing process is complete.

I hope this helps and gets others thinking/discussing.
John

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #13
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

I like strong flavours, so I cure (loins) for at least ten days with fourteen being optimum.
Then soak overnight, changing the water regularly to leach some of the salt out.
Dry and leave uncovered in the fridge on a rack overnight for the pellicle to form.
Cold smoke with hickory for 12 hours every other day for five days.

Comes out something like this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bacon Tower.jpg (28.1 KB, 290 views)
LM600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #14
DanMcG
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
I believe it it time we all modernise our brining techniques and use the "Equilibrium Method".
Thanks John, I might give that a try sometime soon with a loin, but I could see issues trying it with belly due to the unknown amount of fat.
DanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcG View Post
Thanks John, I might give that a try sometime soon with a loin, but I could see issues trying it with belly due to the unknown amount of fat.
You are correct except that you have the same issue when using traditional brining i.e. do you reduce salt in brine when you have more fat?
Equilibrium brining still takes out much of the guesswork. I'd suggest you estimate (take a rough guess) at fat content then target the equalibrium on protein and brine volume. When the brine solution stops reducing that is the equalibrium of your brine & protein. If the salt content is higher than intended then the fat content was higher than estimated. I am sure if the brethren practiced this method we would get a much better idea of what real salt content is needed to produce the optimal product.
John