My UDS and I are going to be on TV

Gonna watch at 2200 local time tonight. Must be a replay from earlier today. Can't wait to see how well you represented! Love the UDS...

I saw the UDS in the commercial and wondered if it was a brethren! Don't let that ginger beat you!

1st off I missed it but am able to DVR a later show.

2nd this has to be the funniest line I read all week!! Thanks for cracking me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a good show. Congrats on your 15 minutes of fame. BTW, If you had the ORANGE Thermapen you would have won.

Congrats. Looking forward to the rerun of the show.

Last edited:
Before even reading this thread just now, as I was flipping channels last night, I saw your drum and told my wife.."those dudes have to be on the Brethren"!

with like 10M page views or whatever for the UDS thread, I figured my odds were pretty good. Too funny!

Birds looked awesome, wonder why you could not get your heat ramped up?

Hey thanks guys. Without all the people on here there is no way we would have made the cut. It was a chore cooking, but I'm glad we did it. ended up having to cook at our friends place since our kitchen is too small. Had to lug everything over there, plus then we had no decorations or anything. Definitely hamstiringed our operation a bit, but honestly I doubyt we could have come up with anything better. When I think Hollywood I think big fake boobs, junkies, and botox. I dno't really associate any style of food with Hollywood, which was a big stumbling block. I forget that to the rest of the world its a movie wonderland. I wish the theme was Memphis or Eastern Carolina, damn it!

It was ridiculously hot and just crazy. I lost 6lbs over 3 days from all the heat in the ktichen. There was definitely some editing done, which changed things, but overall I'm happy that our bird turned out good. I don't care if I'm not the best a decorating. We cooked a pretty good meal on a smnoker I built. I don't think Hogan made his sous vide machine.

I think I might change the air inlets from 3/4 to 1" to help her get a little hotter, I probably could have pulled the diffuse plate too, but in the heat of the battle i didn't want to go opening up everything. If your lookin' you ain't cookin'.

And popcorn? Seriously?

Nice! Been a while - good to see you!

You too! How's the UDS holding up? I'm planning on making more if you know anyone in the LA area looking for a tricked out UDS.

That was your apple and pecan wood you gave me like 2 yrs ago, plus some hickory. Just finished off the last of the wood this past weekend. I guess its time for another cal char run.

So just a shameless plug, but my roommate and I are going to be on a new Bobby Flay cooking show, called Bobbys Dinner Battle, next Wednesday the 16th.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/bobbys-dinner-battle/index.html

Somehow we made it throught the screening process and we cooked our a$$ed off the only way we know how, using my ugly drum smokers and copious amounts of beer.

Just wanted to give a shout out and a thanks for all the input from everybody on this site over the last sevral years. Recipes, blueprints, and just endless pron. I'm hoping backyard DIYer and BBQer's will get some respect. I have no idea how things are going to look, but it should be interesting.

I watched it last night. I was scanning channels and saw a couple of UDS and Flay said something about Chicken, so I watched the program.

I think you'd of won If you'd had a large budget for decorations.

Seems he gave more weight to the couple with the fancy set up,
but he liked your UDS Chicken.
Congrats on TV appearance.

I read your post the other day and I randomly caught it on TV last night. I think the show overall was a pretty cool set up. You guys knocked it out of the park with the chicken and to impress Bobby flay is really cool. Hogan and his girlfriend were a crack up to watch. It was nice seeing some real cooking instead of boiling meat in a bag (sous vide) LOL

Well, I've never been on a show, so this is advice from just another dude who cooks.

Given the time restraints, spatchcocking would have got you right where you needed to be. And the bird is just as juicy as long as your monitoring internal.

But I'll have to try that five spice powder, I thought the color was awesome.

And honestly, this Sous Vide thing, that's like boiling ribs, right? Hopefully, Flay left you his card and you can get him hooked on UDS's. Great Job, looked like fun.

That is great......I love BF becasue he puts it on the line KNOWING most folks will choose the "local" flavors they are used to......Saw him last night in Nawlins doing gumbo...he garnished it with FRIED OKRA....!!! even though he didn't win the "thowdown" all the nawlins people raved about having crispy fried okra on their gumbo.......BEST OF LUCK BROTHER!!!

... When I think Hollywood I think big fake boobs, junkies, and botox. I dno't really associate any style of food with Hollywood, which was a big stumbling block...

What? there's more to Hollywood?

Congrats man! You have lived many of our dreams (well maybe one of mine at least). Sounds like you had a lot of fun doing it.

Back