MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Ruger410
Full Fledged Farker

Default First smoke suggestions?

Hey yall I am waitin on my smoker to come in I ordered a maverick 55 gallon drum smoker.(yeah I know I could of built one lol) and a maverick thermometer I think it was a Et-732. Just looking for basic tips and tricks, I think I will be doing a pork butt my first time(my girlfriend loves pulled pork) . I assume the meat goes fat down? Also charcoal method I assume I will just fill the fire box all the way up and start with the minion method. Also should I season my new drum or burn it out?
Ruger410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Any woman who loves to pull pork is a goodun I cook FC up on Butts. Keep your temp 275 -325 Minion method to light it up. Brush a light coat of lard on the inside and run the temp up to 350 fro 1 hr and drop on the Butt.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Ruger410
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Any woman who loves to pull pork is a goodun I cook FC up on Butts. Keep your temp 275 -325 Minion method to light it up. Brush a light coat of lard on the inside and run the temp up to 350 fro 1 hr and drop on the Butt.
I thought smoking temps were in between 225-250?

Old 08-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
SmittyJonz

No burnout cuz it's new - designed to cook in - spray it inside with cooking oil and run it for hr or two around 300* - 350* then damper it a little try get temps down around 250* - for cook - let it settle I where it wants to - if it seems to level out at 275* then cook at 275* if it likes 240* cook at 240* etc within reason - it'll probally take a few cooks to get hang of it.
You can smoke anywhere between 225* - 325* depends on ur and your pits cooking style. Some say 275* is perfect for meats.

I cook 250* - 275* - 300* depending on which smoker I'm using. I like running Butts/ Picnics 250-275* in my UDS. I trim most if not all of Fat off butts/picnics cuz I like more bark. I use McCormick Apple Wood Rub on Pork - I get it at Walmart and HEB. Some ppl inject some dont - I inject Apple Juice with some of the rub mixed in.

I'm Definately interested in your opinion of it after a few cooks.
SmittyJonz is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Ruger410
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
No burnout cuz it's new - designed to cook in - spray it inside with cooking oil and run it for hr or two around 300* - 350* then damper it a little try get temps down around 250* - for cook - let it settle I where it wants to - if it seems to level out at 275* then cook at 275* if it likes 240* cook at 240* etc within reason - it'll probally take a few cooks to get hang of it.
You can smoke anywhere between 225* - 325* depends on ur and your pits cooking style. Some say 275* is perfect for meats.

I cook 250* - 275* - 300* depending on which smoker I'm using. I like running Butts/ Picnics 250-275* in my UDS.

I'm Definately interested in your opinion of it after a few cooks.
Thanks I will Definitely kepp yall posted. So basically you have to find out what your pit likes to level out at. I am brand new to charcoal. Also is the bbqguru worth the money?

Old 08-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
SmittyJonz

I don't have a Guru but I want one. You may or may not have to tweak or gasket the door on that Maverick barrel- if u have temp problems or variances it may be letting air in. Just have to see - it'll take a few cooks to Learn your pit. To me it's a cross between an UDS and a WSM - read threads and watch YouTube videos on both.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Ruger410
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I don't have a Guru but I want one. You may or may not have to tweak or gasket the door on that Maverick barrel- if u have temp problems or variances it may be letting air in. Just have to see - it'll take a few cooks to Learn your pit. To me it's a cross between an UDS and a WSM - read threads and watch YouTube videos on both.
I've tried to find some vids on the maverick smoker I can't find any

Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
SmittyJonz

There are none and everyone on here will tell to build an UDS- you are the guinea pig !
That's y I'm interested in your opinion on it after a few cooks LOL.

So study up on UDS and WSM- blend the two - do ya 5-6 cooks and post them and then let me know if I should order one or not.

Oh and Pork Shoulder- Butts or Picnics are probally easiest/best thing to learn on- even when the cooks not great they r still pretty good pulled - usually.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Ruger410
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
There are none and everyone on here will tell to build an UDS- you are the guinea pig !
That's y I'm interested in your opinion on it after a few cooks LOL.

So study up on UDS and WSM- blend the two - do ya 5-6 cooks and post them and then let me know if I should order one or not.
Lol for some reason that doesnt make me feel to good

Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger410 View Post
Lol for some reason that does t make me feel to good
Hey - somebody has to go first- might as well be you.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
landarc

I would do a quick burn in, with some Pam or lard, either one works, just to get a coating of fat on the cooker. Then run the cooker anywhere from 250F to 300F, wherever it settles down. I like to cook fat cap down, but, that is a choice thing. I do trim the cap to between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.

I would love a Guru or similar, but, don't have the money. Old fashioned is a good way to learn

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
Bludawg

I found it with a lill googlephoo. I won't comment on how much more it is than 3 UDS builds. I just hope the door seals well or your gonna have problems holdin temps since you want to cook at painfully ow temps.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
Ruger410
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I found it with a lill googlephoo. I won't comment on how much more it is than 3 UDS builds. I just hope the door seals well or your gonna have problems holdin temps since you want to cook at painfully ow temps.
I just don't have time to build the UDS. I had a couple nice forum members on here offer to build/sell me one they just live a little farther than I travel at the moment.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
SmittyJonz

Quote:
NOT.
they are $249 shipping included- cheaper than UDS sell for. UDs run $300-$400 if u buy instead of build one.

http://www.firecraft.com/product/mav...eition-smokers

And he's new and learning and I bet he will cook/smoke where the smoker wants to - if door leaks a lil Food Grade Red Silicone will cure it.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
landarc

There isn't anything wrong with buying that cooker, over making a UDS.

That door is going to be a potential issue, if it becomes one, a quick fix, is to wrap the door with a few layers of aluminum foil, that will seal things up a bit. Same is possible for the bottom joint between the barrel section and the bottom plate, drip a little oil into that and it will seal enough.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->