MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
moyo25
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Primo XL drip pan rack

Hello all,

In the never ending quest to buy food and not grill parts I was planning on buying fire brick instead of D plates for my XL. I have the extended cooking racks. That said, could I flip my cooking grates and use them as drip pan racks and place the food on the extended racks? Anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Mike
moyo25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I absolutely love the D racks. I expect you could do what you plan, but the extended racks are significantly smaller and they are made to balance on the grates. I'm sure you could make it work ... but I love D racks. (I love D plates too. )
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
moyo25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I absolutely love the D racks. I expect you could do what you plan, but the extended racks are significantly smaller and they are made to balance on the grates. I'm sure you could make it work ... but I love D racks. (I love D plates too. )
Well I may just break down and buy them...thanks for the info.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

This is the kind of fun you can have with the D plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
My wife noticed that Costco was carrying some small (8-bone, ~ 5-6 pound) rack of pork, bone in (Swift) and picked one up for a treat to try. These run $3.99/pound, but there was some promotion for a few dollars off. It is actually too small to stuff, so we decided to try it like we would a prime rib. It is also enhanced, and I have not had good experience with enhanced meat (nor with pork lately), so my expectations were not too high. I seasoned this with some Lawry's, Foil Hat Rub, Kirklands Mesquite seasoning, and parsley. I set up the Oval with one diffuser plate in and the other grate set low to do a sear. I had a large chunk of oak above the coals. I put the roast on, bone-side-down, indirect at 280*. I normally do a prime rib at 220*, but because this is thinner, I thought I could up the temperature a bit.

After about 1:45, the IT was between 145 and 150*. I pulled it and foiled it for about 10 minutes. I opened the vents on the Oval and cranked up the temp to about 400*+. I seared all three sides for about 1-2 minutes per side:

I pulled it and let it set for a couple minutes (while the baked potatoes and beans finished). I then sliced:

I know it is not pink (my family prefers pork IT in the 150* range; whereas I try to drop that IT as much as I dare), but it was extremely juicy, tender and thoroughly delicious. Don't know if anyone else has tried them out there, but I do recommend them.

I should mention these racks did come Frenched, but they did not remove the membrane. I took mine off as I always do. It came off in one solid sheet in a couple seconds. (I just gripped it with a paper towel and pulled).
D racks are even more fun, but I don't have pictures of those to post.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyo25 View Post
Hello all,

In the never ending quest to buy food and not grill parts I was planning on buying fire brick instead of D plates for my XL. I have the extended cooking racks. That said, could I flip my cooking grates and use them as drip pan racks and place the food on the extended racks? Anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike, Not to hijack the thread, how do you like your Primo? Would you purchase one again?
Thanks,
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
moyo25

Yes I would highly recommend the PrimoXL. I bought mine on craigslist so I certainly didn't spend what it would cost new but have been very pleased thus far. Temperatures stay rocksolid once I get it set and has been very reliable. I'm to the phase now where I'm trying different types of lump to see what I like best. I get all my excessories at the BBQ-Equipment store and haven't had to deal with the warranty obviously because I'm not the original owner. If a tornado came and swept mine away I would buy it again.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyo25 View Post
Yes I would highly recommend the PrimoXL. I bought mine on craigslist so I certainly didn't spend what it would cost new but have been very pleased thus far. Temperatures stay rocksolid once I get it set and has been very reliable. I'm to the phase now where I'm trying different types of lump to see what I like best. I get all my excessories at the BBQ-Equipment store and haven't had to deal with the warranty obviously because I'm not the original owner. If a tornado came and swept mine away I would buy it again.
Thanks. I have been wanting a Primo for some time.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
moyo25

Wow Gore...a must buy now. Thank you for all the great photos.

Mike

Old 01-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Patrickkva
On the road to being a farker

As a Primo XL owner, I've sunk $ into the accessories too. The d-plates are a worthwhile investment, especially if you already have the drip pan racks. I mostly use one d-plate for offset cooking and for the marvelous reverse sear on steaks because I don't cook huge amounts of food much.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blazing Blue Thermapen[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#2e8b57]BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]
MABA Member
Patrickkva is offline   Reply With Quote