MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
caseypons

Default Lookin for some advice on Traeger #BBQ124

Hello Friends,
I am looking at purchasing a Traeger BBQ 124 Pellet Cooker. Does anyone out there have any experience, ownership or criticisms in general on the Traeger Pellet cookers. This will probably not be used for competition, just for some friendly backyard (but heavy) usage. I believe they have the capacity for low and slow BBQ but does anybody have experience with grilling a nice thick steak on one.
Any feed back would be appreciated.Good..... Bad, I am open to all criticisms
Regards,
Casey

Old 05-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
TygerSmokes
Knows what a fatty is.

Casey,

I own a BBQ126 (Built-In), but my smoker is very similar to the BB124. The BB124 has a smaller grill area, but the same digital controller and profile.

That being said, I generally use my Traeger for smoking, as compared to grilling. I mostly use my BGE for grilling. I'm not sure how well a Traeger can sear steaks at the top setting of 450 deg. My BGE pegs the needle well past 700 deg. sometimes. Lately, I have started to grill chicken on the Traeger (around 300 deg.) with good results. You don't get any flare-ups and don't have to worry about charring.

In general, I've been very pleased with the pellet smoker. Filling the hopper, setting the temperature, and waiting for the meat to reach temperature makes it a very easy process. I smoke pork butts overnight, and don't have to tend a fire in the middle of the night. The smoke flavor is not overpowering, and I always get a good smoke ring.

The problem with Traeger smokers have long been the digital controller. Most recipes call for setting the temperature around 225 deg., which is perfect for smoking. However, Traeger oddly only had a 180 deg. and 250 deg. setting. The new digital controller has a 225 deg. setting, which should make life easier for Traeger owners.

All in all, I think it's very good smoker. I would (and have) recommend Traeger smokers to all looking for a BBQ smoker/grill.

BGE Large
Weber Q220
Trager BBQ126 (Build-In)

[B]One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.[/B]
TygerSmokes is offline   Reply With Quote