Shelf life of this bbq sauce

Heisenberger

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently made a delicious vinegar sauce and wanted to know about the shelf life. It's mostly vinegar (about 1 part white vinegar, 1 part ACV, 1 part ketchup). There's some water and spices in there so it should last for months.

The thing is, I added freeze dried shallots which I ground up and I'm wondering if it would make the sauce spoil faster. Would it be like adding granulated onion? Or would it re-hydrate and shorten the life of the sauce?

With that much acid I can't imagine some freeze dried shallots will make much of a difference.

But I'm a phone guy...

I wouldn't worry about it unless you made a huge batch. If it is a small batch, then just store it in the fridge until needed. My personal home made recipe contains a lot of Butter and lemon peel with white vinegar and ketchup and spices. I have kept some in the fridge for over 2 months before with no adverse effects.

Blessings,

Omar

For the most part high acid tomato based sauces that have been brought to a boil and put into the jar while hot can be kept for up to a year if properly refrigerated, but not always the case due to added ingredients.

Most good sauces do not last more than a month or two anyway, so if this is your time frame you are good. If I plan on making a larger batch to keep longer than a couple months, I get out the pressure canner and properly can the sauce in pints until I need to use it.

Think ahead of how long it will be around, there is no substitute for common sense when it comes to food safety.

Back