1st

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
just found out the Brazos is one of the first Klose pits ever made. The original firebox was replaced in the late 1990's so that always threw me.

My church is being notified that we essentially have a Frank Lloyd Wright of BBQ Pits and I will only trust David to make the new firebox.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJtMrVRTco"]Thanks[/ame]

Attachments

• EphifBrisketFinal_0002.jpg
    EphifBrisketFinal_0002.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 346
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
no one knows of one older. We ordered it in 86, took possession in 87. David says he started officially making them in 86.

Very awesome. I bet David would like to have that in his showroom!

I am not sure if you are joking. David did say they are like children.

Its a hard sell, getting someone to pay a lot to get a 26 year old pit rebuilt by the manufacturer when they paid only 2500 for the pit.

I got one damn lady on the panel that says... buy what we bought at BP... plus its a pellet auger thing. I am like trying not to lose my cool. And some want to sell it for scrap.

Offer them $500 for it since it only cost 2500 and it needs repair now. It needs stewardship and that panel doesn't qualify.

Its a hard sell, getting someone to pay a lot to get a 26 year old pit rebuilt by the manufacturer when they paid only 2500 for the pit.

I got one damn lady on the panel that says... buy what we bought at BP... plus its a pellet auger thing. I am like trying not to lose my cool. And some want to sell it for scrap.

Say your peace and leave it alone. If they want to scrap it, buy it and fix it yourself. You can still use it for their benefit.. but it would be yours.

FWIW, having David rehab it only makes a small number of people happy. Get a bid from a capable local person. (puts on flame suit)

You might mention appreciation of the pit versus any other pit being scrapped years ago.

Offer to take it off their hands at the scrap metal value. At our church, the pit belongs to the men's group and the trustees don't give it a thought. We raise our own funds with an annual garage sale and and brisket sale and spend whatever we need to to keep it in shape. We also paid for it and built it ourselves.

Well, I thank all of you for your ideas and I may not have explained myself and feeling very well.

I often wonder whether I should do just that... form my own 501C, buy the pit they think might be worn out, and go my own. BUT

I have had a really good experience working with my church overall... sure there are hiccups, but its worth the fight. I get to have that big ole pit without having to find a place to keep it, and as it looks like... keep it up.

David Klose is maybe 27 miles from us so having him do the firebox I bet solves a few problems. One is, metal shops are notoriously slow. David has fireboxes built separately so they can just be slapped on. A modern firebox.

Next is, I coul fart around and design one.... why not have one designed by a guy who already views the pit as one of his children.

Scrap Metal Value is substantially more than they paid for it. Did I mention the chamber is well... as thick as a finger?

So I kinda want the church to keep this pit up. And thats the last part. I have finally gotten the facilities committee to see the pit as "property" and maintain it.

So I am working on it.

Now if it was an Oyler.... I would have told them to get rid of it because it was filled with Asbestos and taken it for myself.

Now they WONT scrap the farking refrigerator which has gone down TWICE with $700 of my fajitas in it and about $400 of brisket.

I want it for a sausage smoker. Twin Bay.

Hold the fire to their feet and show them the light... That pit is a wonderful part of the ministry of your church. Preserve it.

Back