MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
tasterner
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Lookin' for a little advice on pork tenderloin

Got a 2 lb pork tenderloin....can I do it on the wsm or should I use the gasser? Never did one before, but reading some old threads it sounds like the don't get very good smoked. I will be firing up the bullet anyway for MOINKS and ABT's.

So, can a tenderloin be successfully smoked?

-18.5" WSM
-22.5" WSM
- Large BGE
- Primo Oval XL
- Kenmore Gasser -- RIP 5/31/12
tasterner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
chromestacks
Full Fledged Farker

absolutely! I have done tons of them but usually much larger, 7-9lbs. use an indirest heat method on the kettle or wsm. pull it of at 150 let it rest for 20 minutes and slice that pharker up!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Throw it on the wsm and you will be ok.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think a tenderloin is too small and lean to smoke. I would do it on your gasser and maybe do a 2 level cook - lower to get the internal temp up some then hit it with a good char.
I have never seen a 7-9 pound tenderloin, but have seen a good sized loin...
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Skidder
Babbling Farker

yup 7 to 9 lbs. is a loin...very lean. Tenderloin is very small and it's more like a dark meat where loin is more of a white meat. Smoke away just watch your internal meat temp. Oh yeah the GOVERNMENT says you can use 145 internal temp on pork now. And you know you can trust them.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wouldn't take it past 140 IT...never tried smoking a tenderloin, just a loin. Tenderloins are for grilling.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I wouldn't take it past 140 IT...never tried smoking a tenderloin, just a loin. Tenderloins are for grilling.
I agree.
Just don't overcook it and it'll be fine. They take flavor nicely, so season it up with whatever you got a hankering for.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I generally do them on higher heat, usually about 6 minutes per side (three sides). IT about 140*, rest covered for 10-20 minutes covered. My family likes them done a bit more, toward 145*. I find them better if you take them out of the fridge an hour or two before cooking. YES, you can smoke them too! Usually, we marinade and make char siu with tenderloins.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
tasterner
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the replies guys. Here's what I did....I soaked the loins in a mixture of apple vinegar, water, brown sugar, and kosher salt for about 2 hours in the frig, then rinsed, coated with Yard Bird and let sit while I fired up the wsm and made the abt's. I put them on the bottom rack and smoked at 300* for about 50 minutes, then I foiled and put in the oven at 400* for another 20 minutes or so. They weren't dry at all, I was actually surprised how good they were.

Thanks again and enjoy the weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porkloin2.jpg (70.1 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg porkloin.jpg (65.1 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg j1.jpg (92.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg j2.jpg (58.8 KB, 234 views)

-18.5" WSM
-22.5" WSM
- Large BGE
- Primo Oval XL
- Kenmore Gasser -- RIP 5/31/12
tasterner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
Smoking Gun
Knows what a fatty is.

That looks great!

I smoked 4 tenderloins for the family gathering on the 4th and sliced them about 3/8" thick and lined the perimeter of a LARGE pan of pulled pork with the slices. Before smoking I coated them with honey and maple syrup and applied a generous coat of my rib rub. Into a ziplock overnight and got up and smoked them about 90 minutes at 220-230 with apple wood until 140 internal.
They turned out great and looked a lot like your pics here. You don't really need low n slow on a tenderloin because it's such a tender cut but I wanted to try and get as much smoke penetration/flavor as I could without drying them out.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Looks great. I was going to suggest pulling @ 135-137, then let rest for at least an hour. That would allow the juices to redistribute, and let the temp rise up another 7-10 degrees, for a perfectly juicy loin experience.

Loins are low in fat, and should be treated like a lean cut of meat, high heat, and pull early.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
Sheepman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

No! By itself there's no fat to baste. Further, the meat's real tender, like Filet Mignon.
If you really gotta do it, you can try wrapping the meat in Bacon. If you're a fancy dancer, you could poke a hole through the center of the "roast", stuff it with pitted prunes soaked in madera, or jalapenos stuffed with garlic. Gets a heck of a kick, when it's done right
Sheepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
redvert05
Full Fledged Farker

I have put one on the Rotisserie over indirect heat on a 22" Kettle and it was to die for. Pulled at 145-150, rested for 20 min, and the juice would run out of the meat and you could cut it with a fork.

Also, stuffed one and put it indirect on the 22.5" OTG. Also took it to 145-150 and again, juicy, tender and anything but dry.

If a loin turns out dry and/or tough, IMO you have overcooked it or its just one of those pieces of meat that just will never be right no matter how you cook it.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromestacks View Post
absolutely! I have done tons of them but usually much larger, 7-9lbs. use an indirest heat method on the kettle or wsm. pull it of at 150 let it rest for 20 minutes and slice that pharker up!
He said tenderloin not backloin.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #15
chromestacks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
He said tenderloin not backloin.
Yep! sorry i mis read...i only have one good eye at the moment had a major surgery last week. was just trying to help a brother out. it was however good advice for a back loin :)