DBS project: coming along

H

highestgrade

bed559eb-c608-1723.jpg

I need all the advice

Do you have a way to control how much smoke and heat travels up the flues into the cooking chamber?

Also, do you have some kind of plate or diversion plate in cooking chamber so you don't wind up with two hot spots?

Just a couple thoughts for you -

I would think a port or two with a stoker/guru attached should help stoke the fire as need to get the heat up the pipes - no?

It is steel piping...used to be an electric pole.

There are 2 butterflies in the ports.

2 water pans are going over the bottom of the cooking chamber covering the ports to prevent hot spots & hydrate.

Then it would be galvanized which = bad eats.:shocked:

Cheers

Not to mention very dangerous to weld if it is galvanized. It sure looks like it is but maybe not. Be careful and looking good.

How do you plan to do the exhaust and firebox access?

Firebox cut on the bottom barrel chimney to go on top

It's galvanized.

It's already done, and not worth doing over.

It can be burned off.

If you line the bottom of the bottom drum with Firebrick, it should make it last a lot longer. I think most people run these as Stickburners. Is that what you're planning?

bed55992-bdf5-d0ce.jpg

Going to let this sit in some plowboys for about 4 hours. Light it up & try it out

bed55992-bdf5-d0ce.jpg

Going to let this sit in some yardbird for about 4 hours. Light it up & try it out with abit of applewood. I got a bag of chips.

Any advice on how much chips to use?

I was thinking a cup of chips wrapped in foil on the coals when the chicken goes on. When that burns out I'm not sure if I should put more.

bed55992-df02-fb72.jpg

bed55992-df17-db79.jpg

Chicken quarters up at bout 225 right now...got a cup of chips in there...it's smoking!!!

Is it just me or is it really hard to judge the scale in the first picture? At first glance I thought it was 2 soup cans welded together.... Thought maybe a practice mock up. Nice use of that hurricane burner in the last pics. I'll have to remember that one.

Back