Chuck Roll.

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Have any of you seen these monsters at Sam's Club? I just saw them today. Twice as big as a brisket, less fat, I think I know what my smoker will be doing this week:wink:
As soon as I purchase one this week I will post pictures of it as well as the cook. Assume I will cook it similar to a whole brisket, any suggestions or advice?

Bossman you just stumbled on one of lifes very special treats..........a narly huge hunk "O" beef .........REJOICE brother you have found the mother load......I've only done a couple ,took forever but, I'd have to say this is one of the best eatin' cuts of meat I've ever put on the smoker.....I treated mine like Brisket or Shoulder clod and worked fine for me!!!

oh yah hears a little attachment to show you just what your looking at!! www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=15
Smoke on bro!!

I know guys that do Chuck Roll instead of brisket for their beef sandwiches when vending or catering. Similar enough flavors without the shrinkage of brisket.

Randy (Pigboy) has tried it once for a catering gig. Maybe he'll see this and post how it worked for him. I know he's still serving brisket, so...

I definitely want to play with it some more. I took the advice of Shad ( a chef in IA) and took it to 195 and pulled it for a tailgate. It went over big! Mark (great grills) works with a vendor who serves a ton of it. They serve it sliced and don't take it nearly that high. I want to visit with them more before I change my menu, because I have quite a clientele for my brisket. Bottom line- less shrink, very tasty!

tumpedover said:
oh yah hears a little attachment to show you just what your looking at!! www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=15

I thought this was interesting from the link above.

Beef Chuck Roll is most economical from May to July, creating an excellent opportunity for foodservice operators too profit by featuring Beef Chuck Roll menu items.
Source: National Cattleman's Beef Association and Cattle-Fax

If you look at the chart, January is the month with the highest prices and June the lowest. I wonder why that is. :confused:

tumpedover said:
Bossman you just stumbled on one of lifes very special treats..........a narly huge hunk "O" beef .........REJOICE brother you have found the mother load......I've only done a couple ,took forever but, I'd have to say this is one of the best eatin' cuts of meat I've ever put on the smoker.....I treated mine like Brisket or Shoulder clod and worked fine for me!!!

Smoke on bro!!

John, great link, Decided that I'm buying one of these bad boys today after work, so the adventure will begin stay tuned:-D

wow.. i havent seen one of thos ein many years. My mom used to get them form a local butcher and make pot roast in a hugh dutch oven with them.. I rememeber them due to the netting they came home in and having to take the string out of the stew once the meat fell apart.. :)

Never seen one around here though.

I haven't seen them at our Sam's Club. I will keep my eye open for them. Was the one you saw a choice cut or select?

tony76248 said:
I haven't seen them at our Sam's Club. I will keep my eye open for them. Was the one you saw a choice cut or select?

It is Choice, I have never seen then at Sam's either until this week. They had them in a display case with regular Chuck roast and some shoulder roast. When I pick mine up today I will ask if they just started to carry these. No netting but they are in the cryovac like brisket or pork butt.

Bossmanbbq said:
It is Choice, I have never seen then at Sam's either until this week. They had them in a display case with regular Chuck roast and some shoulder roast. When I pick mine up today I will ask if they just started to carry these. No netting but they are in the cryovac like brisket or pork butt.

Keep us informed....with pics included....I love this cut of meat....I ussually take mine to about 175-180* pull,wrap, hold, then slice like brisket.....MMMmmmMMMmmm!:mrgreen:

The Sam's here doesn't have them in the showcase either, but assured me they have them all the time. You just have to ask. I think there were 4 in a case. Good exercise lugging that around. I cut each peice in half to shorten cooking time and have more surface for rub to add flavor.

Back