MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Weber kettle mod to hold remote thermometer transmitter?

I'm looking for a mod which will allow me to place the transmitter unit on a small metal shelf bolted to the grill's bowl. I superglued magnets to the back of the transmitter unit (which I hope will not screw with the unit's functioning), and intend to let it stick to the metal shelf during cooks.

I saw this mod on a recent UDS completion post by a Brethren, and liked the idea, but I'm not sure if the unit will be sitting too close to the bowl and get too hot. I usually have a small table next to the grill to place the transmitter on, but it would be nice to not have to lug that around the yard when I fire up different grills.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=105160

If anyone has a better mod they would like to share, I'm all ears!

Thanks.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I have a shelf that slip over the edge of the kettle and holds that kind of stuff, made by weber. Let me see if I can dig up a picture of it.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

This is my cheap arse version. I just set my chimney starter on the ground next to the kettle and my thermo has a magnet on the back. I just stick it on the chimney to monitor temps. Of course the chimney is cool when I do this. Works and the chimney is something I always have with the kettle anyways.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Weber actually makes a table for the kettles. I had one and then ended up using it as a table for one of my drums. You could also tap into the screw/s that are on the plastic handle and attach something there. I saw a little sheet metal holder that someone built and then re attached the handle over it. Looked pretty slick.
I just can't remember where I saw it.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking for something to attach to the kettle itself, so I might try to work with the sheet metal attached to the handle mod.

My concern is about the transmitter being too close to the hot bowl, but if the metal bracket is attached to the handle, then maybe it'll be ok. If not, then time to to by an ET-732!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 04-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've been using U-Glu double stickey stuff and just adhere the transmitter to the handle on the lid. It's worked so far and the unit hasn't got too hot...yet.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Problem solved. I had a conduit cover lying around, which took a minute to bend into shape. put the handle back on with a longer screw and 2 washers on either side of the conduit cover. It even makes a sort of handle. Now I just have to drill the hole for the probe grommet using the lamp repair kit mod.

Thanks!

Last edited by caliking; 06-21-2011 at 04:14 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Buy a Performer. I just had to say it.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
Buy a Performer. I just had to say it.

I did! http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104368

Craigslist addiction + Weber addiction= the end of me.

Tags
weber kettle mods