MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:21 AM   #1
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador
Default chunk size vs smoke quality

has anyone tested this to see if the size of the chunks affects smoke quality on a charcoal cooker?

ie if you use two huge chunks vs say 8 smaller chunks but exact same amount of wood - what difference does it make

Old 03-10-2018, 12:30 AM   #2
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

smaller chunks=better combustion = cleaner smoke

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-10-2018, 03:42 AM   #3
One Drop
On the road to being a farker

I use smaller chunks on a kettle with a Smoke'nSear than I do in my WSM, just find it delivers even light smoke more easily. If the chunks are too large I find I have to ten them to fully burn evenly.

A bit smaller than fist sized chunks works best for me on the bullet. I leave the bark, it helps with the smoke ring and has not given me bitter flavours.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Depends on airflow. I use smaller chunks in my insulated cabinet than my Jimmy or 1/4" vertical. With more air I can use bigger chunks. I don't want anything to smolder too much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

I have a bunch of mesquite on hand but I don't like mesquite-its too strong- so I decided to use just a little to see if I would like it so I cut some small chips on my miter saw, about a quarter inch thick each. I also cut some pecan chips about the same size and threw some cherry chunks in there.

what I found was a thick smoke aroma but very little smoke flavor on the meat.

This is something I think should be talked about more for attaining the best smoke flavor from charcoal burners

Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

I guess now it makes sense why pellet cookers are considered to have very little smoke flavor.