MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #16
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS View Post
Sorry, wife is in one of those moods. I leave in the morning for a business trip and won't get a crack at it again for a few days.
Thanks anyway.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #17
mcmurder77
Found some matches.

You can try getting ahold of Ken Schwartz. He's a very knowledgeable knife sharpener that specializes in Japanese cutlery, and Japanese waterstones. I know him from some knife forums, it looks like he doesn't have a business page yet, but he does have a FB page.

Good Lick! If you were closer I'd take care of fixing it up for you!
mcmurder77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #18
Seefyre
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Looks interesting. I would take this knife to my sharpening pro and spend $20 and have him reset the edge, regrind the tip and put an razor hone on it. It could be a killer blade, it looks high carbon and they really can rock when done right.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #19
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesignalsfromtx View Post
I've got a buddy who's wife is from Japan. I'll have him show Her and see if she can decipher it.
Thanks. That would be appreciated.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #20
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHusker View Post
Thanks. That would be appreciated.
I spoke with my buddy this morning at work. He said his wife replied that the markings are a guys name (I take it's the makers name) in the region where the knife came from. She also said that it was a fisherman's knife, and was used for cutting up and scaling fish. He said she did some research on it and it's value is around $60 USD. He told me he would speak with her again and get the exact name and the region as well as Internet sites that she looked it up on. I won't see him again until Monday but I'll let you know what he says.
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #21
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I spoke with my buddy this morning at work. He said his wife replied that the markings are a guys name (I take it's the makers name) in the region where the knife came from. She also said that it was a fisherman's knife, and was used for cutting up and scaling fish. He said she did some research on it and it's value is around $60 USD. He told me he would speak with her again and get the exact name and the region as well as Internet sites that she looked it up on. I won't see him again until Monday but I'll let you know what he says.
Thank you.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #22
cats49er
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Stacy Robertson

That's a treasure for you I know.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:16 PM   #23
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

"BUMP"

Old 01-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #24
Deltaboy
Knows what a fatty is.

Sand it with 220 and then up to 400 wet dry sandpaper till it cleaned up. Regrind the tip using some 80-100 grit paper or Norton stone. Sharpen it up and use it.
Deltaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #25
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

DerHusker,

Here's the info my buddy sent me.

"Hey Rick,

That knife has 5 total Kanji (Japanese writing)characters. From left to right.. the three larger, darker characters say "Tomosugi". That's the last name of guy that made it. The two smaller, lighter character translate to: made by. Since the Japanese read right to left it basically translates to: "Made by Tomosugi". It's a pretty common knife, mass produced in Japan just rare to see here. Hope that helps."
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick

Old 02-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #26
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

Rick

Old 02-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #27
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
DerHusker,

Here's the info my buddy sent me.

"Hey Rick,

That knife has 5 total Kanji (Japanese writing)characters. From left to right.. the three larger, darker characters say "Tomosugi". That's the last name of guy that made it. The two smaller, lighter character translate to: made by. Since the Japanese read right to left it basically translates to: "Made by Tomosugi". It's a pretty common knife, mass produced in Japan just rare to see here. Hope that helps."
I had assumed it was a cheap knife but it's nice to know more about it.

Thank you Rick.

Tags
DerHusker, japanese, knife, knives