EMERGENCY - Help a brother out! Please!!

S

smokeemifyougotem

Hello all,

Firing up the WSM for an early afternoon through midnight cook. My pork butt is still partially frozen...any input as to whether or not it is a problem putting partially frozen pork on the smoker?

PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!!

Thanks!

Smoke 'em :roll:

I'd put it in a large pot with cool water for an hour or so. Depending on how frozen it is, it may take longer.

thanks Randy - that's not what i was looking for :cry: . Anyone else want to chime in? Phil - are you there? Bill? Anyone...Bueler? Bueler?

Smoke 'em

the problem you run into is the internal meat willl be less cooked than the outer portion. if you are looking for pulling temps, the internal will not pull, or the external will be overcooked.

Put the butt in a pot of cool tap water with a small stream of water from the tap constantly flowing. That will keep the butt from lowering the temp of the water. It will thaw faster than you think. It's worth the extra hour to thaw to do it right.

I agree with Mista.

I would not run the cooker much cooler than 200, you runt eh risk of the meat being in the danger zone too long, not not worth the risk of someone getting sick.

It is best to thaw the meat prior to smoking it, It will not take that long, and the results are worth the time taken. Measure twice, cut once.

Thaw the butt completely via methods discussed in this thread - then smoke as normal.

OR

Go get another butt.....

racer_81 said:
Thaw the butt completely via methods discussed in this thread - then smoke as normal.

OR

Go get another butt.....

yep, either wait, or run to the butcher for a fresh one.

Can't hurry a frozen butt more than a pot o water

mista hit the nail right on the head
you do not want to try to cook a partialy defrosted piece of meat. it will not cook through no matter how long you cook it. it will look cooked but its not trust me on this one

Just in case your not convinced yet, do what Mista said or like Bill said, go get a fresh one and do the frozen tomorrow.

Probably too late now but if you have a microwave, check and see if it has a defrosting mode. Mine does a pretty good job of defrosting without cooking. It gives the frozen meat short bursts of low microwave energy so that it gradualy, evenly and quickly thaws out.

It looks like the group thinks you should either thaw or go get a fresh one. What did you do?

It's been eight hours since Smokemifyougotem asked for help. Hope he's okay!

Thank you brethren....i decided to continue to defrost it floating in the sink in a zip lock....then I hit the microwave for a bit before reading the thread again. .... . I did cut the butt into 3 pieces and am getting ready to take it off....brisket has been on since 1:30 and will go until I wake up in the morning....was pretty windy here today and had a party to go to tonite .... temp has held just over 215...just where I like it......can't wait till tomorrow...my daughters 2nd birthday party...with BBQ - couldn't ask for anything better.

Thank you again to all the input brothers!!!!!

Smoke 'em

Back