• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Big Green Egg table

fsckedagain

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
ok, so I am making a table and having a real hard time decided what to use as a surface under the egg. The whiz used a piece of slate, which all I can find around here is a slab for 350 bucks (no thanks).

But I see the ones on the BGE website and it just looks like a cement paver.

I don't want anything to pop under the egg and injure it.

Anyone have any solid recommendations or suggestions?

thanks!

Firebricks work great and are low cost. You can usually find them at big box home improvement stores in winter or at stove and fireplaces year round. There are lots of sizes but the case I have are about 9x5x1 which is a pretty common size. I bought a box of 12 at a Home Depot spring clearance for $11.

They are also great for adding thermal mass to other types of cookers, for a cheap indirect method on ceramic cookers, or for smash cooking that perfect panini.

So I was thinking of putting a little platform (braced, of course) and weaving the firebricks in some kind of pattern under it. Weight wouldn't be a problem?

Weight shouldn't be a concern. The bricks I have are perfectly square so they play nice while stacking.
I really like the egg table designs that are open in front of the egg so you can install and remove them easily. No clean jerking a 150lb egg. Can you share your design?

Weight shouldn't be a concern. The bricks I have are perfectly square so they play nice while stacking.
I really like the egg table designs that are open in front of the egg so you can install and remove them easily. No clean jerking a 150lb egg. Can you share your design?

It is that exact design on nakedwhiz. I wanted to do one with an open front, but couldn't find a plan until after I already started it. So it is pretty much the exact same as that one.

Only difference is I am using resawn cedar instead of oak.

The bottom of the egg doesn't get terribly hot even at a high heat cook. I used a huge floor tile ($2) and a second tile beside it to put the platesetter on when necessary. You could also use a cheap Home depot patio stone. I stopped by a granite counter top place and they had a pile of discarded sink cutouts and cutoffs out in a pile that were free for the taking. Looking forward to seeing your table.

I used a huge floor tile ($2) and a second tile beside it to put the platesetter on when necessary.

Looking forward to seeing your table.
That's a good idea for the platesetter. I might modify the design a tad and do that.

I will for sure take pics and post 'em when I get it done. I could even post som right now. Well tonight, I mean. It is all framed except for the egg stand cross braces.

Hey tomorrow is by BB-B B-day woot! 1 year on the board :D

Back