• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What would you do...

R

RollinSmoke

First, thanks to all you guys that share your knowledge on here, it's an amazing resource.

What would be your ideal Catering\Vending\Comp setup? Mobile Kitchen? How big would you get if you could? RV to sleep in at festivals?
Thanks, Rich

The question is too broad. What would the main purpose of the set up?

Vending would be primary setup, festivals and such. I was hopin for some "wish lists" of equipment. Let's say ya just inherited 100k, would you do anything different? different equipment? trailer? Thanks for the reply :thumb:

100K to spend, Heck ya things would be different>
With vending as the primary job, this would be my deal:
$30K on slightly used diesel 1 ton pickup.

$70k to spend on the trailer. I'm thinking a total custom job from Klose for this one. It would need to have power, water, a/c, a fridge, a large prep area and vending window. Wood burning pit with gas start and ability to run 100% on gas if I wanted it two. Lots of personal touchest throughout the thing. Man that's a heck of a budget to work with.

The number one thing would be the smoker and everything else revolves around that. I would get an OH or SP. Since you will be in a production mode nothing beats these for that application. I would also come to the Reno Rib cookoff and check out what these guys use, you might be able to get on as a helper so you will see what works and what doesn't. You are spending a lot of money so you can't make a mistake, it pays to do a lot of homework. Contact every large BBQ vendor you can find and get their recommendations. The big guys I see at the state fairs here have a log burner out front for show and do the real cooking on a OH or SP in the trailer.

Thanks for the response Bama and Pork. I am planning on going to Reno, would love to help out (can't beat free labor). Don't know to many people, so pickin up a helper spot has been tough. Been home about 4 yrs gettin surgeries and healin (workin on recipes) after gettin hurt overseas. Been to several local comps, walkin around, takin pics to get setup ideas. Judged a few with TGBCA, great learning experience.
BTW If anyone needs a helper, hardworker, willing to drive and I work for BBQ, :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the website and contact the organizers. Almost all the teams that show up use local labor for much of the work.

Back