Best Smoker for 100 bucks?

hnd

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
i have a friend who's wife wants to get him a smoker for fathers day. he is just wanting to get started.

i'm not building him anything. so she is going to purchase it. other than brinkmann and scouring craigslist, what are her best options. gas or charcoal are both options.

thanks!

Weber 22.5 kettle $89 & then the char coal holders for $14 and you got the best smoker in the world & and you can do comps with it.

865170136_sZJXA-L.jpg

ill concur with the kettle, except skip the charcola holders and just get some brick wrapped in aluminum foil, ive had the same regular red bricks in my kettle for 3 years, from 600degrees to 200, never had one explode, crack or anything, they're practically black, no more aluminum foil, and are well seasoned now

ill concur with the kettle, except skip the charcola holders and just get some brick wrapped in aluminum foil, ive had the same regular red bricks in my kettle for 3 years, from 600degrees to 200, never had one explode, crack or anything, they're practically black, no more aluminum foil, and are well seasoned now
I'm still a newb in the smoking world, May I ask what the bricks do?

does it help with indirect heat?

I'm still a newb in the smoking world, May I ask what the bricks do?

does it help with indirect heat?

Otherwise known as the firebick method, the bricks act as a barrier to contain your coals and also help conduct heat so that you use less fuel. So yes, it helps with indirect heat.

I have two bricks in both of my kettles that I never remove; I use them for both a smoky reverse sear type cooking, and traditional smoking using a minion style start on either cooking method.

I've used bricks, too. They are a simple container/divider that allows for indirect grilling/smoking/cooking on a kettle. They do the same thing your charcoal baskets do. Bricks in the middle, hot coals on one side, indirect grilling on the other. The attached pic doesn't have any bricks, but they would go between the coals and the drip pan from one side to the other.

weber1.jpg

Otherwise known as the firebick method, the bricks act as a barrier to contain your coals and also help conduct heat so that you use less fuel. So yes, it helps with indirect heat.

I have two bricks in both of my kettles that I never remove; I use them for both a smoky reverse sear type cooking, and traditional smoking using a minion style start on either cooking method.
Thank you very much for the explanation, bro.

So in just what we're saying hnd, get the weber, it's very versatile and it's the perfect tool for the back yard cook & the comp cook.

Anyone have pics on how to setup and use this grill to smoke? I am not sure I understand.

Anyone have pics on how to setup and use this grill to smoke? I am not sure I understand.
Here's how I do it.

867807329_urRt9-L.jpg

And there is so much more way's then this.

By the way go to youtube.com and search for the minion method.

I've used bricks, too. They are a simple container/divider that allows for indirect grilling/smoking/cooking on a kettle. They do the same thing your charcoal baskets do. Bricks in the middle, hot coals on one side, indirect grilling on the other. The attached pic doesn't have any bricks, but they would go between the coals and the drip pan from one side to the other.

weber1.jpg

!0 replies and no one has said UDS yet? :tsk:

weber1.jpg

All inspiring artwork .........

He said it's a gift idea for the wife of a friend (so to be given to his friend) and he doesn't want to build anything.

BTW, the artwork is not mine, just something I found and hung onto.

Derek do you put wood on the coal at all? Do you use the bricks at all?

He said he is NOT building something...so the UDS is not an option.
Although I'll agree it was the FIRST thing I thought of until I noticed the "not building anything" comment.

Back