• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tamale Thread Condensed

Cast Iron Chef

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I took the information from BobBrisket's and blues n cues tamale threads and concensed down to a 17 page pdf. I will use this as my study guide for our New Years tamales. Hope you can use it as well. Was hard to get some of the formatting out of the cut and paste. Thanks to all that contributed.

Attachments

• Official Tamale Hot Line Thread.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
Paul, that was timely. Started my first try at tamales today. Been searching information on making these and discovered some history behind them. Pretty cool stuff. Have the meat and broth in the refridgerator right now and headed to the hispanic market tomorrow for some husks. Looks like a lot of different taste preferences but the passion of making them seems to be the key. Thanks again for the post. Wish me luck bro.

Great! Thanks Paul! I've always wanted to make some! Can I use shortening instead of lard?

I only passed along the information. The experts will chime in I'm sure.

Paul, that was timely. Started my first try at tamales today. Been searching information on making these and discovered some history behind them. Pretty cool stuff. Have the meat and broth in the refridgerator right now and headed to the hispanic market tomorrow for some husks. Looks like a lot of different taste preferences but the passion of making them seems to be the key. Thanks again for the post. Wish me luck bro.

Good luck man. Let me know how you do. Smoking my butt tomorrow for New Years. Can't wait.

Very nice, good work Paul.

Meat, I believe you are gonna love them (Oh, my Christmas tri-tip was medium, no blood, you would have lijked it).

I buy good corn husks, I prefer them thick and I run em through the dryer before soaking them.

Very nice, good work Paul.

Meat, I believe you are gonna love them (Oh, my Christmas tri-tip was medium, no blood, you would have lijked it).

I buy good corn husks, I prefer them thick and I run em through the dryer before soaking them.

What's with the dryer? Drying & then soaking seems counter intuitive. Do you use a fabric softener sheet?:biggrin:

I gets them fluffy. Actually, sometimes there is corn silk and small pieces, I find a few minutes on air fluff cleans em up.

I gets them fluffy. Actually, sometimes there is corn silk and small pieces, I find a few minutes on air fluff cleans em up.

I'll be danged!!! Makes a ton of sense. The dryer will separate em and will remove the silk and other "natural" goodies in the husks. Keep in mind, rinse the husks REALLY well. You will find little, dried up critters in the husks. Dang! I love this idea.
Is it your idea? Can't wait to tell my dad about it!

I took the information from BobBrisket's and blues n cues tamale threads and concensed down to a 17 page pdf. I will use this as my study guide for our New Years tamales. Hope you can use it as well. Was hard to get some of the formatting out of the cut and paste. Thanks to all that contributed.

sounds good and you're welcome.

No, not my idea, I was whining to the woman I bought the husks from and another customer laughed and said I should wash and dry them in the drier, air fluff, to get them ready for use. Does not work if you use fabric softener sheets. Guess how I know that, farkin spring bouquet corn husks.

Paul, I did my first tamales over the weekend to practice for New Years as gifts. I made a couple of dozen with thin masa and a couple dozen with thick masa spread with my finger. The thick were way better. Learned a lot and really looking forward to the weekend.
Used some frozen pulled pork, and boiled a chicken as the meat mixture. The mole started with 8 ancho peppers boiled and blendered.
This was so much fun and excellent taste. My wife and some friends couldn't believe the taste of a real tamale. They want more. LOL
Thanks again. Will do more pics on New Years.

Attachments

• IMG_2870.jpg
    IMG_2870.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2869.jpg
    IMG_2869.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2872.jpg
    IMG_2872.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 40
Paul, I did my first tamales over the weekend to practive for New Years as gifts. I made a couple of dozen with thin masa and a couple dozen with thick masa spread with my finger. The thick were way better. Learned a lot and really looking forward to the weekend.
Used some frozen pulled pork, and boiled a chicken as the meat mixture. The mole started with 8 ancho peppers boiled and blendered.
This was so much fun and excellent taste. My wife and some friends couldn't believe the taste of a real tamale. They want more. My daughter said since I was making more, what would be harm be to take a dozen of them now to tide here over. LOL
Thanks again. Will do more pics on New Years.

Prons look like your an old pro. My wife keeps saying she doesn't really like tamales. Hope to change her mind. Hope you gave a bite to your avatar, too cute.

Back