• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

MIM VS The Royal

bamaman76

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
For those of you on here who have done both. Im curious about which one do you prefer? Im down here in Alabama and have not competed in either one. But from the outside looking in it seems as if the the Royal might be better.

How's it going? Are you asking MIM vs. KCBS "style"?

I judge MIM/MBN and compete in KCBS, GBA, FBA cookoffs. The difference in the
amount of meat cooked and the work involved is tremendous. Whereas I'll cook
4 racks of ribs in KCBS (and that's really cooking more than I need just because we
enjoy eating ribs), MIM/MBN really requires a minimum of 10 racks, some cook up to
15 racks of ribs. KCBS has one blind turn-in. MIM/MBN has the initial blind turn-in,
then 3 on-site visits by a judge each time, then if you make it to finals, you have
yet-another blind turn-in. That's for each category. MIM/MBN categories are
pork shoulder (cant get away with just a butt), pork ribs, and whole hog. Dont see
too many whole hogs getting cooked on BGE's... They require another cooker in
addition to anything else you're probably using.

Simply put, MIM/MBN requires a fairly large team and 2 good sized cookers, minimum.
$$$$$ to compete. KCBS, a husband and wife can compete just fine. One good
sized cooker or multiple BGE's and you're in business...

On that note, at our local MIM/MBN cookoff, I've been asked to cook the pork
shoulders this next year. 1 team MIM/MBN is actually a combination of 3 KCBS/FBA
teams. We'll have 8 people.

Lake Dogs thanks for the post. I was just wondering about the teams that have competed in both the Memphis In May and the The Royal. Which one they felt was the better competition.

Aside from the meat don't forget the presentation you have to give the judges. For some teams that is alsmost as important as the meat. I don't know that I would want to haul a nice dining table, chairs, tent etc.

Aside from the meat don't forget the presentation you have to give the judges. For some teams that is alsmost as important as the meat. I don't know that I would want to haul a nice dining table, chairs, tent etc.

You're referencing MIM/MBN's on site, yes? Usually the teams that do this
(above) are either inexperienced MIM teams, or haven't been to a judges
class, or both. Note Myron's MIM on-site in the BBQ Pit Masters show.
Nothing fancy whatsoever. On-site is judged on cleanliness (appearance)
and neatness, not fancy. Everything else being the same, meat presented
on a cutting board should score the same as meat presented on fine
china... Doesn't mean that a good sales pitch and niceties can't help
influence their opinion...

Lake Dogs thanks for the post. I was just wondering about the teams that have competed in both the Memphis In May and the The Royal. Which one they felt was the better competition.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I'm certain that you can find many competitors here who've been to
The Royal, but I'm not certain many if any have been to Memphis in May.
Mostly KCBS folks here.

Based on the email I got last week from theMIM people, the Royal is cheaper.

You gonna do MIM, Ryan? I'll be down there if you need a hand or anything.

As for the question, I've done MIM and the Royal and they are very different beasts. From a party stand point, they are about on par, though MIM may have an edge on big corporate bashes.

Cost wise, neither is cheap. Entry fee, tent rentals, port-o-johns, ice, etc. The Royal, or any KCBS contest, is probably cheaper meat wise, considering that for MBA contests you are cooking for a blind box, on site judges, then having enough in case you make the final cut. But you're only doing one category versus 4. Then there's the whole dog and pony show which I actually enjoy in moderation. Basically who can BS the best.

Other than that, KC and Memphis are both BBQ meccas and you should check out both contests at least once if you have a chance.

I've cooked on a team at MIM twice. You have to have a corporate sponsor and a crew of helpers, in my opinion. You, as pitmaster, have to have good presentation skills along with your good meat entry. MIM is more like a bunch of private parties that just happen to be held at the same time and the same place. There's some of that at the Royal but it's still primarily a KCBS contest(s). This year's Royal was the first time I've ever gone. I did lousy in the competition, but it was really good for business, so I plan on going back in 2010. I cook alone and don't see a time where I'll ever to a MBN much less MIM. KCBS rules don't discriminate on a solo cook, it's all blind.

Since the BBQlossal is cancelled this year I am looking for a place to do whole hog. I think I'll need to check out MBA...

For those who have done MBA, is it possible to do a comp with one 90 lb hog? I'm thinking not (but what do I know?)

Going to MIM this year and hope to meet some of you folks. Always willing to assist if any help is needed.
Ed

For those who have done MBA, is it possible to do a comp with one 90 lb hog? I'm thinking not (but what do I know?)

It would be tough to do well if you made finals with that small a hog. The rule for MIM/MBN is that the minumum dressed weight must be at least 85 lbs. Many teams cook a much larger hog than that and some cook two or more. One team in particular prefers hogs in the 235 lb. range and he has won MIM GC three times.

...couldn't he just cook the Patio Porkers division at MIM? Relatively cheap, considering your competing at MEMPHIS IN MAY!!! Thats only ribs though.

...couldn't he just cook the Patio Porkers division at MIM? Relatively cheap, considering your competing at MEMPHIS IN MAY!!! Thats only ribs though.

If you do Patio division in Memphis, bring your hip waders. You'll need them. Patio folks usually find themsleves in a mud-hole. Just the way it is.

I've never done the Royal, but have "helped" with some friends in Memphis. They try, but have come to the conclusion it is a lost cause (they don't compete enough to have a chance) and more fun to spend their money on margarita machines.

When I've cooked, it's always been KC comps because I don't have access to a hog cooker.

My mindset is this (doesn't exactly address the Royal vs MIM, but does explain my mindset)
Hog = party
KC comps don't require me to "invite" 50 of my friends and I can therefore concentrate on cooking good product.

You gonna do MIM, Ryan? I'll be down there if you need a hand or anything.

Unless I get some big corporate sponsorship by then, I don't think I can fit it in to my budget this year, but definitelysomeday. From what I was reading, spots of similar size at MIM are twice as much at the Royal.

Instead we will be doing the other MIM that weekend MN in May that is :wink:.

Thank you very much though for the offer Clint. I am sure it will be a great time!

Back