Newb cold smoker question(s)

thepirate51

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Newbie in the process of converting an old freezer into a cold smoker. Anyone have experience hooking a thermostat up to a heating element (from an old stove) to control heat? Here's the basic set up.

I'm using a metal freezer from the 50s, about 5' tall. I've cut a hole in the bottom and attached a metal box, below it, where I will put a 15" cast iron skillet, holding my wood chips. This will sit on an old heating element. I'm having an electrician hook it up to my power panel with a breaker. (Think of a king-sized "BigChief" smoker). I've drilled a 2" intake hole at the base of the freezer and 4" hole at the top, with chimney and adjustable baffle. I have a metal disc with holes drilled in it, placed inside the bottom of the freezer, to act as a smoke diffuser. I'm working on chopping down a "doughnut rack" to give me shelving space. I plan to put some joints at the top of the freezer to hold dowels for sausage and a couple of "j" hooks in the ceiling for birds and ham. (what type of wood should I use inside for the dowels and holder frame?)

Am I missing anything here? I know it's kind of a big post for my first one, but it's important. I've been allegedly working on this for 3 years and my wife is ready to throw both of us out. Did I mention I drew for a moose tag this year??? There could be lots of meat to cure.

Thanks in advance from newb in Idaho who didn't start with something simple.

Pirate

Back