MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Post Annual inspections

Mine is here,
Had to reschedule it for next week due to my work schedule and they are very understanding. This should be a walk in the park and I'm hoping to get a five star rating.

How often is yours?

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 09-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Dr_KY

BTW because I am mobile it's tougher on them to fit us in but we do everything we can to keep them involved and even invite them to come watch us work and give advice on how to improve.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009
Old 10-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

All of the food inspections in Texas are unannounced and can occur at any time of the day. Most of the inspections occur prior to opening for the day though and they get a good idea of your standard food safty practice regarding prep and cooking. University Park rewards us with at least two inspections per year and for the last four inspections, I have had no deducts so therefore it has been 100% which is a fact I am very proud of as our practices and rules are being followed by my entire staff.

Early on one of my 3 point deducts was for the food prep counter not being clean. Put in place the practice of wiping with sanitizer solution the moment the cutting board is moved to the sanitizer and stopped that deduct in it's tracks.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Dr_KY

Most here are unexpected too but because I'm sort of a one of a kind and mobile they need to contact us. Other vendors that have alloted street corners ets just get dropped in on, seeing that I don't have a place or schedule things are a bit more obscure. At least twice a year I invite them to an evet we are doing so that they can advise or inspect. She called me out of the blue but we were ready for them. :)

The inspection was four hours ago and they didn't fine anything wrong but gave one suggestion and that was for us to have a larger hand sink/wash basin.

I' will find out where I came on the Scores On Doors rating...we are hoping for a five star.

->>> http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/ <<<-

Food Hygiene Rating Scheme

Scores on the Doors is the No. 1 national food hygiene rating scheme where you can find the official local authority hygiene ratings for food businesses - now the largest in the world!

Find out how hygienic and well-managed the food preparation at any of the premises listed here are, such as your favourite take-aways, clubs, pubs and restaurants.
Check if your local authority is one of the ... 124 contributing councils
Or search for any of the ............................ 143,793 listed premises

Quote:

Scores on the Doors - How to Get Five Stars

How Can I Achieve a 5 Star Rating?

In order to achieve a 5 Star Rating on a food hygiene inspection, you must demonstrate very high standards of food safety management and be compliant with food safety legislation. The aim is to have no or only very minor contraventions at any 5 Star rated premises.

(The scoring system allows for very minor contraventions)

5 Stars are awarded to food businesses that achieve a total score of between 0 and 5 for the three separate elements of

• Hygiene
  • Structure, and
  • Management

The inspecting officer gives scores for each of the three separate elements, and scoring is in accordance with the Food Law Code of Practice.

If you are a new business, you must register your business with the local authority, (North Devon Council) an inspector will then visit you to carry out a Primary Inspection, usually within 28 days of receiving your form. Your premises will be risk rated at the end of the inspection and therefore given a star rating at this inspection. You are therefore advised to ensure that your premises fully meet the requirements of the Food Legislation in readiness for this visit.

If you are an existing business you will already have had an inspection by an officer on a previous occasion. If you were sent an informal notice, (with a schedule of works) following that last inspection you must ensure that the works required of you on the informal notice have all been completed. Failure to attend to matters, which were previously drawn to your attention, will result in low Star Rating being awarded.

If everything was satisfactory at your previous inspection, then you must ensure that the standards have been maintained and that no contraventions have arisen since that time.

Prior to 1st January 2006, there was no legal requirement to provide a documented food safety management system, (Food Hazard Analysis or HACCP document). Therefore if your last inspection was before this date you may not have been required to provide such a document at that time. In order to achieve 5 Stars, you will need to provide such a document at your next inspection.

A free pack called Safer Food Better Business is available for Caterers and Retailers, from the Food Standards Agency on 0845 606 0667.

Safer Food Better Business is a pack that you can use to document your food safety management system. It is not the only way to document your food safety management system. You may choose whatever type of system you like. A fully documented system will be required by the officer at the time of the inspection and the officer will need to verify that you are complying in practice with your own documented system, in order to a low risk score and therefore a high star rating in the Confidence in Management/Control Systems Category.

In order to gain low risk scores and therefore high star ratings in the Hygiene section of the scoring, you must be as fully compliant with the following aspects of Regulations (EC) 852/2004.

• Personal Hygiene- Protective clothing, smoking, jewellery, personal cleanliness and fitness to work
  • Water Supply- Mains or if Private supply treatment and testing. Ice
  • Food Storage- Systems, stock rotation, allergens, product instructions, temperature controlled storage
  • Separation High Risk Foods-system, evidence
  • Pest Control- Exclusion of pets, Pest proofing, monitoring and control
  • Food Hygiene Training – Food handlers trained in food hygiene matters suitable for their work activity

And in the Structure section:

• Design- Space/size, separation, workflow
  • Walls/Floors/Ceilings- Type, suitability, repair, and cleanliness
  • Ventilation- Natural, mechanical, cleanliness
  • Lighting- Type, diffuser
  • Equipment in Contact with Food-Cleanliness, condition
  • Washing Facilities- food, equipment
  • Hand Washing Facilities- Adequacy, accessibility, Hot & Cold, mixed running water, soap, drying facilities
  • Waste Storage/disposal- Inside, outside, disposal contract
  • Staff Changing Facilities- Availability, adequacy, cleanliness
  • Transport/containers- Suitable arrangements
  • Toilets- Separation from food room, wash hand basin, cleanliness, ventilation

Only a few very minor contraventions in any of the above will be tolerable for a 5 star rating. Star rating reduces for the number and or severity of contraventions at the time of the inspection.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009
Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Dr_KY

Cool

The results are in......

BOOM! We got five out of five stars.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009
Old 11-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

That just ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! Congrats Sir.....

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Score, over here many BBQ places do not appear to adhere to real standards. My go to place was slow this morning and the staff was cleaning like crazy, very nice to see.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:44 AM   #8
Dr_KY

I know I'm only working to the standard in which other brothers and sisters here stand for and want I want to be served by but it's a great feeling when you walk by other restaurants and only see a three or four.

Just goes to show that even a little guy starting out can beat down the big dogs so those of you that are thinking of starting up listen to the others in this section about getting with your local health authority first.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009