MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Question Comp generator noise help

We are going to yates center in a few weeks for a comp with very little power provided. We have a coleman powermate 5000 we are going to use. It is not extremely loud, but would like to know how some of you guys make them quieter(boxes-mufflers-etc) Please leave honda generators out of your replys as they are not an option right now. Pics would also be great. Thanks
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

make a box out of plywood 3 sides and a top. Make it big enough to staple insulation inside it for muffling. Put over generator and point open end toward you so the most noise hits you and not others. Leave enough air room for clean air flow to the generator so it won't overheat. Probably 6" clearance on every side. It will still make noise but not be as bad for neighbors.

And be prepared for complaints. What do you use it for? If it's not cooking then you can turn it off at night. Most smokers will run overnight on a jump start backup unit. Also offering neighbors power sometimes helps with noise complaints.

Good luck. We bought a Honda although most cotnests we go to supply power.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm with Merl but I'd build it with A/C duct board, make it taller and point the open side up. You can cut the pieces to size and then assemble with duct tape on site.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

We need to run the a/c(6.9 amps), lights(2 amps),laptop and stoker(??? amps, I assume not very much), and a box fan to put in front of the generator box to help keep it cool.
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-

Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

I sent you a pm about a possible solution, I seen people with noisey gensets at north k.c, even in boxes, it wasn't pleasant at all.
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I think anyone going to a comp that does not provide electricity should expect generators going all night - some people do not have the funds for the quite generators.

Not that that statement helps your question.

We did one comp without electricity and had to use a noisy generator. As we were not the only ones who did, we placed it about 150 feet away from the nearest team on the other side of a bit of a knoll.

Since, I have built a box similar to what Ford referenced and we have it just in case. However, doing one comp without electric was enough and we've vowed not to do another.

My thought to organizers - I understand that not every small town can provide a space that has hardwired running electric to every team, but other options exist. I think in a lot of cases, the city could run temporary 15-20 amp service lines with minimal work. If not, a local company with a large generator (rental place for example) might provide one for event sponsorship.

And if the organizer still isn't able to come up with a realistic electrical source, schedule the comp to avoid the heat of the summer. Have it in April-May or September-October so people do not even have the desire for A/C throughout the night. And realize many teams will automatically shy away from your event for this sole reason.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Exe-que-tioner
On the road to being a farker

Very well said, Bob! My thoughts exactly.

Shane, funny you posted this question on the generators. Just wondering what we were going to do at Johnson County in a few weeks as well. Taking a fairly loud generator ( I am assuming) that we are borrowing from a freind.

Michael, can you PM your solution to me as well?

Thanks guys!
Exe-que-tioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Totally agree with you Bob! Hopefully you can put up with a louda$$ generator coming from Big T'z camp this weekend, as I am thinking we may not have a choice.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
Totally agree with you Bob! Hopefully you can put up with a louda$$ generator coming from Big T'z camp this weekend, as I am thinking we may not have a choice.
Bobby as spent so much money on his new trailer it should be soundproof!
The noise should not bother him. They are providing 5 amps, but I do not know how they will regulate that so that power hungry teams don't take all of the power. I have never heard of a 5 amp breaker. you are right though, I would gladly pitch in $25 towards the rental of a diesel generator.
-kCBS/ CBJ-

Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Bobby as spent so much money on his new trailer it should be soundproof!
The noise should not bother him. They are providing 5 amps, but I do not know how they will regulate that so that power hungry teams don't take all of the power. I have never heard of a 5 amp breaker. you are right though, I would gladly pitch in $25 towards the rental of a diesel generator.
I've never heard of it either... maybe it's a typo and should have been 15 amps....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

I called and checked, its 5 AMPS
-kCBS/ CBJ-

Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
NCGuy68
Full Fledged Farker

[quote=KC_Bobby;957640]
My thought to organizers - I understand that not every small town can provide a space that has hardwired running electric to every team, but other options exist. I think in a lot of cases, the city could run temporary 15-20 amp service lines with minimal work. If not, a local company with a large generator (rental place for example) might provide one for event sponsorship. /quote].

I like your thoughts Bobby but the major problem is LIABILITY. I'am a licensed electrician and have tried to assist local fund raising events many times in the past free of charge. The city doesn't want to take responsibility nor does a rental firm with a large generator if any mishaps occur.

Recently, a 10 year old boy tripped over a extension cord that I had put down temporarily, while he was running around with his sister. His parents wanted to SUE ME for creating a trip haxard!

Sad but true..........

Old 06-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #13
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

[quote=NCGuy68;957724]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
My thought to organizers - I understand that not every small town can provide a space that has hardwired running electric to every team, but other options exist. I think in a lot of cases, the city could run temporary 15-20 amp service lines with minimal work. If not, a local company with a large generator (rental place for example) might provide one for event sponsorship. /quote].

I like your thoughts Bobby but the major problem is LIABILITY. I'am a licensed electrician and have tried to assist local fund raising events many times in the past free of charge. The city doesn't want to take responsibility nor does a rental firm with a large generator if any mishaps occur.

Recently, a 10 year old boy tripped over a extension cord that I had put down temporarily, while he was running around with his sister. His parents wanted to SUE ME for creating a trip haxard!

Sad but true..........
This is waaaaaay off topic, but this is on KCBS's sanctioning request form:

"I agree to provide a Certificate of Insurance, a minimum of 90 days prior to the contest, with KCBS named on a
certificate of insurance with a minimum of $1,000,000.00/2,000,000.00."

I could be totally wrong, but I would assume this insurance is just for Liability purposes.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Build two boxes both with 2 sides, 1 top and 1 end. Make the smaller box large enough to cover the generator and allow for air circulation. Make the other box four inches taller and the sides four inches longer and the overall width 8 inches wider . Place the smaller box over the generator with the closed end next to the muffler. Place the large box on top with the closed end away from the muffler. This way the emitted sound will have to travel in an "S" shape to leave the " sound attenuator ". Sound dampening boards or insulation may be used on the outside for increased effectiveness.

Last edited by QDoc; 06-24-2009 at 02:27 PM..
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDoc View Post
Build two boxes both with 2 sides, 1 top and 1 end. Make the smaller box large enough to cover the generator and allow for air circulation. Make the other box four inches taller and the sides four inches longer and the overall width 8 inches wider . Place the smaller box over the generator with the closed end next to the muffler. Place the large box on top with the closed end away from the muffler. This way the emitted sound will have to travel in an "S" shape to leave the " sound attenuator ". Sound dampening boards or insulation may be used on the outside for increased effectiveness.
I like this idea! I wish I could afford a new Honda but that's a way away for now but I do have an old (almost 30 years ) Toro that works like the day we bought it...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote