Italian Beef Sammy

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
DSC06472JPGa.jpg

After looking at all the recipes in the Italian beef thread a week or so ago, and taking a couple of leads from Dr. BBQ's post, I cooked a little roast Friday and chilled it. Today I made these for lunch. Cooking the beef ahead and pre-chilling, then slicing thin, thin, thin, really made this sandwich..... I was also very careful in not heating the meat too much in the gravy.​

DSC06425JPGa-1.jpg

DSC06462JPGa.jpg

DSC06476JPGa.jpg

Excellent slicing job. That Sammy looks deeeelicious. One of those and a couple of cold brewskis, you got it made.

I am kicking myself, seen some nice roasts today, but wasn't coming home right away.
That looks pretty tasty.

I am kicking myself, seen some nice roasts today, but wasn't coming home right away.
That looks pretty tasty.

Heck, where I live you could have left them in the car for 3 or 4 days without any worry. :biggrin: Latest update.....
9 below and the pastramied turkey breast and shanks are on. Thinking of going down for a toddy, I've had my pick-up running for an hour thawing it out.

Not ad for a guy from Wyoming :-D Needs more gravy...

I'd still hit it, however :rolleyes:

Looks great Thirdeye. Still haven't got a chance to try my shot at it. What cut did you start with?

I like what I see, if it just didn't taste like my dusty computer screen, I'd be set.:biggrin: Very nice!

Heck, where I live you could have left them in the car for 3 or 4 days without any worry. :biggrin: Latest update.....
9 below and the pastramied turkey breast and shanks are on. Thinking of going down for a toddy, I've had my pick-up running for an hour thawing it out.

Had -21.7 deg. F this AM :eek: And a high of -4 today :shock:
Sorry not trying to hijack!

No Sammies here but it sure looks G O O D!!

Looks great Thirdeye. Still haven't got a chance to try my shot at it. What cut did you start with?

I think it was called a rump roast, but I'm guessing it was a bottom round. Pretty lean and I cooked it hot and left it medium rare knowing I was chilling, slicing and doing a warm-up on it.

Had -21.7 deg. F this AM :eek: And a high of -4 today :shock:
Sorry not trying to hijack!

No Sammies here but it sure looks G O O D!!

As long as the wind is not blowing I'm okay with the cold. Plus it gets the water nice and hard for me.
icefishin.gif

As long as the wind is not blowing I'm okay with the cold. Plus it gets the water nice and hard for me.
icefishin.gif

10 to 20 MPH.... but I am with you thirdeye on being ok with the cold. Cool fisherman ya got there. I am also looking forward to the "Hard Water"! Getting the ice fishin gear ready... Taking next week off so I think I'll go out and find ice thick enought to fish.

That sandwich looks great! Tastes strangely like dusty computer monitor but it looks awesome. What is this ice fishing you speak of? Being in TN it doesn't get cold enough to freeze :) Here is what we caught Saturday. (if this is hijacking please move)
PC130006.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pron thirdeye! Maybe bobaftt will send you some of that frozen catfish your way to slice up thin and serve it to all of us!

bottom round is what Chicago Italian Beef is usually made from.....looks great...and I think cooking it on rare side, cooling and slicing...then cooking minimally in the aus ju was the way to go...

That sandwich looks great! Tastes strangely like dusty computer monitor but it looks awesome. What is this ice fishing you speak of? Being in TN it doesn't get cold enough to freeze :) Here is what we caught Saturday. (if this is hijacking please move)
PC130006.jpg

Wow, nice cat. I would have to get a bigger auger to deal with something like that :mrgreen: I pretty much use an 8" hole. One good thing about ice fishing is that your beer is always cold.

DSC01546ab.jpg

Back