First Smoke Pron

C

Crentist

Any input would be appreciated. This was the first smoke I have ever done. Just bought a WSM last week. Used hickory on this one.

Butt injected and rubbed
shoulder.jpg

Tiny brisket flat after Dr. Pepper marinade and rub
brisket2.jpg

Brisket pulled after 8 hours at 170, foiled/coolered for 30 min. It was VERY dry. I was really disappointed. Did I take it off too soon you think?
brisket.jpg

Shoulder off and foiled after 9 hours at 170. It was excellent. It brought my spirits back up. Could have stayed on for a bit longer but tasted very good.
shoulder2.jpg

What do you think about that brisket? It was a very small flat so I was really worried about it in there. It was so dry. Can brisket chili save it?

Hey Crentist,

Congrats on your first smoke. I'll let the experts chime in in the brisket. How did you serve the butt - sliced, cubed, chopped, pulled?

-Bret

Pulled it. Mixed with a bit of a vinegar sauce and it was great. One of the best I've had.

Most folks don't yank their pork for pulling until it hits 200-205. Also, I think a 30 minute rest is a little short. I don't like to rest for less than 1 1/2 to 2 hours if I can help it. the higher temps make it a lot easier to pull and the longer rest supposedly redistributes the juices better. I usually slice mine, so I yank it off the smoker and cooler it at about 180-185. Nice looking butt, though. :)

yea, 170 was way to early for brisket, it's done when probe goes in easy, I honestly don't have a clue what temp. I pull mine, it's probally 195-200. I use to have ok briskets, then I started cooking fat side down, and quit looking at the temps. and now I have awsome briskets!

Yeah I figured I needed to keep everything on longer. Looks like my first time I was a little premature :icon_blush: That happens with most people right....right guys?

I was just worried because the flat was so small. So the flat although seeming to be dry at 170 would have moistened up at a higher temp? I'm guessing I didn't get the full collagen breakdown.

Not to worry. Next time wrap the brisket in foil at 165 after adding a little sprinkle of rub or some sauce of you choice. Close up tight and put back on the pit until you get to 190 (note: if you go to 200-205 you'll have a chopped beef candidate). Wrap the whole thing, foil and all, in a heavy towel and place in a cooler for 1-2 hours. Pull, let rest on the counter for 30 minutes or so then slice. I think you'll be there....

Yep. I was talking about (pulling) the butt w/ the 200-205 recommendation. I was letting more accomplished brisket cookers discuss that particular muscle.

Takes a while to get things down to a science....I've been smoking for 5 years or so and things still don't turn out as I want them to......I think you did a damn good job for your first time....Bravo....keep on smokin....

I pull my brisky's @ 190 ish...then cooler for an hour or two. Nice job on the butt and overall good job for your first smoke. :p

I usually pull my briskets at 190 as well. I have never cooked just a flat though, just packers. The butt looks great! What did you inject with and rub with?

Welcome my friend to the best darn addiction there is.

Thanks for sharing the your first smoke with us. It all looks like a great start. And keep practicing on the brisket. If you ever get it down, let me know because I still produce brisket that sucks. (Great for chili though...)

What Larry ^^^ said... ! Use it for chili. You did fine...
Throw another one on and try again, if it sucks, you got a bigger pot of chili :biggrin:
... either way you got Good Eats!

Congrats, Crentist. You'll come to know that WSM like family.

What did you use for fuel and smoke?

Minion method (charcoal) with hickory and a bit of red oak. The WSM is awesome, I already love the thing. I heard it would run hot the first time so I watched the temps like a hawk and made sure it was 225-230 the whole time.

"Your dentist is named Crentist?"

I think Pitbull summed it up well. My first briskie was dry and I assumed it was from over-cooking it. How wrong I was. It really is kind of counter-intuitive what you have to do. Also, I agree that not being rule by the temp (rather, by tenderness) is the way to go, but the temp gauge can help keep you from cooking too long. My last one turned out moist, but it was cooked to 205 internal: tasted great, but couldn't slice it. DID end up with a nice big dish of chopped, though!

PICT0569.jpg

Have fun with it.

Did the flat have a fat cap on it? I know that I'll start a chit storm but I always cook mine fat cap up (cause KC said so!)... That may help next time.

As for a temp to pull it, I usually don't worry about it... I check it every now and then just to see where it is and start 'really' checking after it's hit about 190*. If you are worried that it may end up dry (no fat cap or just got that gut feeling) you can foil it once it hits about 170-175* and add about a cup of apple juice and return to the smoker. The bark won't be as good but WTH...

You did good, and keep up the 'hard' work....

Back