• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Frozen Meat

TALEG8R BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Smoked my 1st fatty Saturday; Jimmy Dean Hot (really good)
JD_med_pdt_FSauHot.gif
filled it w/ scrambled eggs, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, frozen hash browns & sharp cheddar. I had a little trouble transferring it from the cutting board to the smoker - sausage layer was to thin. I'll know better next time. Anyway. After that was done, the smoker was holding 240 & I hated to just let it burn out. So, I grabbed 4 frozen chicken breasts, put a little olive oil & a generic rub & left them. Checked the internal temp remotely for the next 3 hours until they read 160. Pulled them & they we moist, juicy & very smokey - used Royal Oak Lump & some apply scraps. Finally, the smoker was cooling - - 200 degrees. So, I took the 2nd half of the sharp cheddar hunk & left the lid on 1/2 way - smoked for 45 minutes as the cheese was just settleing into the grate. WOW! Very good. First time for all three - 1) fatty 2) frozen chicken breast 3) cheese.
Q: Anyone cooked frozen meat?

A few steaks that were "frosty" in the center, nothing frozen solid.

Nice use of the fire!

I guess you ate them and everything was fine. I might worry about leaving chicken in temps low enough for bad things to grow for to long a time, but that didn't seem to happen to you. Glad it worked, but I think I'd defrost mine and then cook. Just my .02 worth....

Haven't done chicken frozen, but have done butts and briskets, seem to get a much deeper smoke ring.........texture was just a little bit different, but over all, I have no objections to throwing a frozen chunk of meat out there if I need to.

Frozen - Smozen.
Throw the meat to that 'Ol smoker at ANY temp. It'll smoke right up. Takes a little longer but comes out pretty good!!!!
Gonna do a rock solid Chicken tomorrow!!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!

I have made frozen fatties before... from the freezer to the butt rub, then on to the smoker.:mrgreen:

Frozen - Smozen.
Throw the meat to that 'Ol smoker at ANY temp. It'll smoke right up. Takes a little longer but comes out pretty good!!!!
Gonna do a rock solid Chicken tomorrow!!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!
Just make sure that you take out that little bag of gravy heaven first!!!!

Back