MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:41 AM   #121
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrass View Post
I'm new here. You probaby won't like my opinion.

I have several years experience co-administrating a rather large vBulletin-based forum that depends entirely on donations to pay the bills. I'm familiar with the tech side and server requirements and prices.

The question in the thread title was do I like this site. My answer is a qualified yes. I like the information and friendliness I've found here, but I refuse to be coerced into buying a "subscription" merely to be able to conduct simple search. I've resorted to using a Google search of the publicly available portions of this site: http://www.google.com/search?q=barbe...q-brethren.com

Thanks.

Your overwhelming support is greatly appreciated.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 04:58 AM   #122
flyingbrass
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Thanks.

Your overwhelming support is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for being so open to feedback as requested.
flyingbrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #123
mm_0_mm
Full Fledged Farker

Wow. I've been hanging out here on-and-off for almost 5 years. I don't contribute to the forums as much as others and I haven't made a monetary donation yet, but I have NEVER felt "coerced" into doing so...it has been quite the opposite. The message conveyed from EVERYONE is that there is absolutely NO pressure to donate anything more than quality posts. I don't see anything wrong with giving "subscribers" a little extra bonus in the way of Boolean search, etc.
mm_0_mm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #124
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Any donations that I make or have made are because I like reading the posts, sharing the laughs (or tears, at times), the recipes, hints, cooking methods, new product reviews, others' views on all kinds of stuff, etc. Not to mention getting to know some truly outstanding folks. Somebody has to pay for the hardware, software and labor to keep this thing going so that I can enjoy it. Why should Phil have to dig it all out of his own pocket???
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #125
txschutte

Quote:

I have several years experience co-administrating a rather large vBulletin-based forum that depends entirely on donations to pay the bills. I'm familiar with the tech side and server requirements and prices.

The question in the thread title was do I like this site. My answer is a qualified yes. I like the information and friendliness I've found here, but I refuse to be coerced into buying a "subscription" merely to be able to conduct simple search. I've resorted to using a Google search of the publicly available portions of this site: http://www.google.com/search?q=barbe...q-brethren.com
I'm sure the experience you have with other groups is massive. However,on the web, this is the only place I can go to laugh hysterically, weep, get advice on anything, and get pointers on some damn fine food. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I pay not just for recipes, I pay to be part of something great. Something I believe in.
I'm sorry you feel "coerced". Not anybody's intention.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #126
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

Yep, sounds to me you like this site

Also not cool to call folk out who have concern for the growth and security of this site. You simply could have kept that thought to yourself. I digress....

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #127
Bigmista

The responses to flyingbrass' comments are the reason why I come here. Nobody called him dick or an arsehole for being new and accusing the site owner of try to coerce him into donatin or subscribing. Nobody flamed him, pointed out his lack of manners in someone else's very happy home or made derogatory comments about his family lineage.

Everyone responded to the accusatory remarks in a very civil and polite manner whether it was deserved or not. I love this place and the people in it. We help pay the bills because this is home.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #128
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Mista said it best.... This is home. And we're family. It can be hard for someone coming from the outside to understand that we take all comers. If someone feels coerced because one of the brethren, not the Poohbah, let us know about a situation with the site and we rallied to help not just the Poohbah, but our home, then you probably don't get what we're talking about and what we really represent.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #129
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

It seems to me you ought to know better than to use the approach that you used to give your opinion.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 01:28 AM   #130
Rookie'48

I forgot to add that I enjoy this site so much that I own & wear proudly 3 Brethren shirts, 2 Brethren hats (1 is put away for a dress-up hat), 1 judges' tote & just ordered 2 Brethren aprons. You might get the idea that I like this site. Oh, yeah one of the g-kids has a little teddy bear with the Brethren tee shirt.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #131
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:

I wasn't coerced, but I just made yet another donation to support this site, my friends, and online community.

I am also not coerced by the electric company to subscribe to them, but it beats waiting until dawn for light.

If you are lucky you will see the light soon and realize what this place means to so many of us.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©

Last edited by timzcardz; 04-26-2008 at 05:06 AM..
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #132
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
I forgot to add that I enjoy this site so much that I own & wear proudly 3 Brethren shirts, 2 Brethren hats (1 is put away for a dress-up hat), 1 judges' tote & just ordered 2 Brethren aprons. You might get the idea that I like this site. Oh, yeah one of the g-kids has a little teddy bear with the Brethren tee shirt.
What about the Brethren Thong or official Brethren judges cooler?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #133
txschutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
The responses to flyingbrass' comments are the reason why I come here. Nobody called him dick or an arsehole for being new and accusing the site owner of try to coerce him into donatin or subscribing. Nobody flamed him, pointed out his lack of manners in someone else's very happy home or made derogatory comments about his family lineage.

Everyone responded to the accusatory remarks in a very civil and polite manner whether it was deserved or not. I love this place and the people in it. We help pay the bills because this is home.
Nice use of the word "home". We pay to keep up maintenance on our home.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #134
flyingbrass
Found some matches.

I was frustrated when I wrote that earlier post. I could have worded my comments better.

In most venues, this forum being the sole exception I've encountered, newcomers are strongly encouraged to search and read before asking questions. And for good reason. Much can be learned that way. Lazy newbies who can't be bothered to search annoy the regulars.

My initial motivation for joining a forum is usually to gain access to the search function and the ability to view attachments. Joining here felt like a bait and switch. Welcome to the forum, but now to get much practical use out of it payment is required upfront. That strikes me as totally backwards. Usually, the value obtained from a site/forum over time inspires one to donate. Requiring a fee in advance for such basic functionality is a pay site approach. Different strokes for different folks, but had I known that was the deal I probably wouldn't have registered.

I think someone mentioned boolean searches, perhaps implying that a simple single word search is possible. Nope. Non-subscribing members apparently have no searching ability here at all with the exception of the FAQ searchbox. I can't even pull up my previous posts or look up threads I've posted in. I find that to be an extremely frustrating environment.
flyingbrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #135
BBQ Grail

Quote:
I was frustrated when I wrote that earlier post. I could have worded my comments better.

In most venues, this forum being the sole exception I've encountered, newcomers are strongly encouraged to search and read before asking questions. And for good reason. Much can be learned that way. Lazy newbies who can't be bothered to search annoy the regulars.

My initial motivation for joining a forum is usually to gain access to the search function and the ability to view attachments. Joining here felt like a bait and switch. Welcome to the forum, but now to get much practical use out of it payment is required upfront. That strikes me as totally backwards. Usually, the value obtained from a site/forum over time inspires one to donate. Requiring a fee in advance for such basic functionality is a pay site approach. Different strokes for different folks, but had I known that was the deal I probably wouldn't have registered.

I think someone mentioned boolean searches, perhaps implying that a simple single word search is possible. Nope. Non-subscribing members apparently have no searching ability here at all with the exception of the FAQ searchbox. I can't even pull up my previous posts or look up threads I've posted in. I find that to be an extremely frustrating environment.
You aren't helping yourself much here. How about going to "Cattle Call" and introducing yourself instead of veiled and not so veiled complaints about how a very successful and popular forum is run. We aren't interested at all in how "other forums" are run. We like it here because it is different.

You are welcome here, but if all you are going to do is complain about the forum we love, then maybe you just aren't going to fit in. I'm sure you will fit in if you'll try to conform instead of changing us.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote