MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
UNCMo96
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : UNCMo96
Default Help with coverage for outdoor kitchen

We're planning on building an 11x11 u shaped outdoor kitchen. My wife is not so keen on having a pavilion or pergola over it but I want something so I could grill in the rain.

I've thought about either putting umbrella holes in the concrete block and finishing with this:
https://www.bbqguys.com/bbqguys-sign...unt-with-shaft

The other option is having a cantilever umbrella on the side of the kitchen.

if you do the umbrella holes how do you secure the umbrella from flying a way since there's no real base at the bottom?

Has anyone used either of these options to cover an outdoor kitchen?
UNCMo96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #2
edmonds
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Steve

I say a rectangular cantilever umbrella, and maybe a base with wheels so you can move to wherever you need it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
Learning to BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I'd personally stay away from any kind of umbrella. They are just meant to take flight in the slightest breeze and if anchored well somehow, will probably end up inside out if a gust blows through.

If you can't do a permanent covering, and this has the same penchant for taking flight too, but with sandbags tied to the legs perhaps a pop-up canopy could straddle the kitchen island and give you a 10'x10' shelter. I don't know, just thinking out loud. I've chased too many unbrellas around the yard or had them break.

UDS, 22" Weber Original kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
Learning to BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-26-2021, 06:30 PM   #4
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you can talk your wife into a gazebo I have some recommendations.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #5
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

If your kitchen area is significantly blocked from the wind by your house, I say incorporate umbrella support. The only time I've had my umbrellas 'take flight' is when I have been stupid enough to leave them open around the pool area during a storm. Around my cooking area it is less exposed and somewhat protected. But it is still wise to avoid leaving them open in bad weather. The umbrella is mostly for me not to protect the cooker or food. A vent cap over the smoker exhaust keeps water out of the food.
jimstocks53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2021, 08:14 AM   #6
NC Mike
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

A popup canopy is what I use when I need more space than I have under my semi permanent garage canopy. Five gallon buckets with water make good anchors and can be emptied and stacked out of the way when not needed.
NC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #7
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

A vented cantilever umbrella would work good, and the "pipe" is out of the way.
They're not that expensive either and are bigger then the regular umbrellas.. plus look better then a popup surrounded with sand bags...Fold it up for storms or when you don't need it, it's not going anywhere anyway if the base is heavy enough and some bases have a slot you can run a pin or bolt through.
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
jonumberone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I ran my umbrella straight through the granite. The pole is secured to the framework with screws. I can still remove the umbrella for the NJ winter, or if there are high winds in the forecast. I'm more concerned with the umbrella getting damaged then it flying away.

jonumberone is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #9
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

No way I would invest without putting some kind of permant roof over it, why let the elements ruin nice stuff?

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-28-2021, 08:18 PM   #10
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike243 View Post
No way I would invest without putting some kind of permant roof over it, why let the elements ruin nice stuff?
I agree 100%

Old 07-29-2021, 07:49 AM   #11
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

I agree with Mike and Craig. After we built our outdoor kitchen we put up a roll out awning for shade and rain. It was a pita in the Winter (we use this outdoor space as much as we can all year long). Finally ended up putting up a permanent roof over most of it....with ceiling fans are lights. It was definitely worth it and the 'icing on the cake' for that project.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote