THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S

SmokeInDaEye

I'm looking for a little assistance if any brethren are interested in trying out a Memphis in May type contest next weekend. Read on and let me know if it's time to bag the contest and write off the expenses to-date.

Basically, we have New Jersey's first MIM contest happening while many of the brethren are away at Harpoon. I've been signed up for awhile and was looking forward to the challenge of onsite judging etc. but we've had some hickups and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth pushing ahead.

There aren't many competitors (maybe 9?) but those signed up are folks that will be fun to hang out with, including recent MIM grand champ, Myron Mixon (Jacks Old South). We have 70 plus pound of whole shoulders we"ll be cooking and numerous racks of ribs, to be ready for the onsite judges next Saturday. I think I've created an army of WSMs to cook everything now that we dont have a large stickburner, but beyond that (and asssuming a whole shoulder can fit on a WSM?), we're getting killed. Here's areas for discussion:

* A trailer full of cookers but no car with a trailer hitch due to another last minute hickup?
* Rent a box truck for four or so days and add to the existing costs?
* Six people cooking 5 whole shoulders and 16 racks of ribs then engaging numerous onsite judges in a two hour window. Too much?
* No time to piece this together next week. Can I pack a trailer at 2am Thursday/friday, get up at 6am, prep 5 whole shoulders and get them on the cookers by 10am, and live through the awards saturday evening?

Skip the shoulders, throw two WSM's into the back of your vehicle and cook ribs only. Keep it lean and mean and have fun.

Skip the shoulders, throw two WSM's into the back of your vehicle and cook ribs only. Keep it lean and mean and have fun.

You are the voice in the back of my head that is speaking rationally, Chris! I'm just a little dissappointed that I can't find the cars or manpower to pull it off as planned... Should have gone to harpoon and fought for that NEBS rookie of the year thing. :mrgreen:

I'm with Chris. Just do ribs. You also should rent a box truck or something else that can tow your trailer.

Mike

I'm with Chris. Just do ribs. You also should rent a box truck or something else that can tow your trailer.

Mike

Calling Budget today about a box truck. I was planning to load the trailer today then the truck had to go into the shop so I'd rather play it safe. And my brother (Wine&Swine) dropped a keg on his hand Thursday night and broke a finger so he's probably only able to lift ribs, anyway.:mrgreen:

Good luck Clint, wharever you decide to do. Make sue you have a cofee pot.

I picked up some energy drinks today!

Ended up making an appointment to have a trailer hitch installed on the mini van later this week. Costs as much as renting a box truck. I considered cooking the shoulders on the La Caja but seems like a waste of time, money and effort since it'll have no smoke flavor. Looks like I'll focus on ribs and enter all of the grilling stuff for friday.

I am planning to stop by and walk around. I'll stop by and say hi. I live pretty close to this one so if you need anything let me know.

What are you doing about the shoulders? Will they fit on your cookers?

Mike

I am planning to stop by and walk around. I'll stop by and say hi. I live pretty close to this one so if you need anything let me know.

What are you doing about the shoulders? Will they fit on your cookers?

Mike

No, decided to skip em. It was getting to be too much. This way I can do some of the grilling stuff, do the ribs and enjoy myself. Stop by for a beer. I just picked up a case of Harpoon today in honor of my fellow competitors.

Back