What do you use at a comp?

Do you make you own or use store bought rubs and sauces?

• Store Bought

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Make then all myself

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I use both hoemade and store bought.

Votes: 85 51.8%

• Total voters
S

SP

Had a little discussion this weekend about contests. I was asked' "What rubs and sauces I used at a competition?' Then I was asked, "Do alot of team make their own or use store bought?" I thought I should post it to the Bretheran. So a question to the Bretheran competitiors, What rubs or sauced do you use. If you wish to list what you use Im sure some might appreicate it.
Personally I make all my rubs and sauced for comps.

My rubs are my own and I used a doctored up commercial sauce for ribs. There are some other little diddys I use but I choose not to reveal them.

We do them all ourselves. We think we could possibly do better with 'proven' rubs/sauces, but we agreed we wanted to do it this way, at least for now. Our ribbons are just that much sweeter. :)

cmcadams said:
We do them all ourselves. We think we could possibly do better with 'proven' rubs/sauces, but we agreed we wanted to do it this way, at least for now. Our ribbons are just that much sweeter. :)

Thats my thought too Curt.

We use both our own and commercial. Sauces get doctored a bit. We use more commercial stuff than not.

we go both ways....heheh. I find that funny, but the rest of the meats may not. Personally, I prefer our homemade rubs and sauces to the commercial ones, but it is not my call to make.

Store Bought
Make then all myself
I use both hoemade and store bought.

Copied From the Poll Posted

That depends, who is the Hoe that is making them?

I use both homemade and store bought. The rubs thatI use are store bought. The sauce is my version of Mike Mills Apple City sauce from his book.

gary

The Anchorman said:
Store Bought
Make then all myself
I use both hoemade and store bought.

Copied From the Poll Posted

That depends, who is the Hoe that is making them?

Yea I really need to reread my stuff because I also put make then instaed of them.:confused:

I use recipe's from Mike Mills book and change them up some. I also use some store bought sauces and change them too. Sometimes I play with all my own stuff, but that gets scary.

wow I am kind of shocked that so few make all of their own stuff. I think that is as much a part of the fun as anything else. I cant even remember the last bottle of BBQ sauce I have bought.
Havent seen too many rubs for sale locally so just always made my own.
If i use anything not made in house, I might try a commmercial marinade or hot sauce but thats about it.

I use all of my own stuff!! Rubs Sauce ect. I fit in all of the poll catagories and ----Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! We win sometimes. Don't tell!!

Spice

I exclusively use commerial rub & sauces. I'll occasionally tweak as needed with basic stuff like sugar, salt, pepper or mix with juice for a sauce if I really feel it's missing something.

I still enjoy occassionally creating a rub or sauce at home, but there are lots of high quality products for sale out there that can get the job done too.... I also don't mind supporting some of these small scale guys out there...

Back