MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #4636
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I am very interested whether or not the single, BGE style, inlet works as far as heat distribution. I am considering using the idea for my new Stainless Drum.
I don't know why people put a bunch of holes in their drums. Then they cook with just one tap open. You don't see four holes and taps sticking out of any commercial smokers. I run one 2" intake with a magnet cover and it works awesome. My favorite is to run a pipe to the centre under my basket so the air draws straight up through the basket and I get a nice even burn no matter what temp I cook at.
Having said this I do realize that the neat thing about a UDS is you can build it however you want.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #4637
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
I don't know why people put a bunch of holes in their drums. Then they cook with just one tap open. You don't see four holes and taps sticking out of any commercial smokers. I run one 2" intake with a magnet cover and it works awesome. My favorite is to run a pipe to the centre under my basket so the air draws straight up through the basket and I get a nice even burn no matter what temp I cook at.
Having said this I do realize that the neat thing about a UDS is you can build it however you want.
I use a 2x4 inch sliding intake on my drums...

JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #4638
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Dang JD, even after you fixed it, there are some major ones still unlinked. There may be more, but here are some that I have found so far during my second read through of the thread.

#1252 p.84
#1805 p.121
#2027 p.136
#2031 p.136
#2087 p.140
#2090 p.140
#2274 p.152

I am very interested whether or not the single, BGE style, inlet works as far as heat distribution. I am considering using the idea for my new Stainless Drum.
My BGE style intake works great....actually it is a BGE intake!!

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #4639
country bear
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Just finished!

Hey all!

Just finished my UDS and am currently seasoning it with hickory! Finally! I made the mistake of picking up a drum with epoxy liner cause I didn't read enough posts before starting. Let that be a lesson to the next guy... It's hell getting that stuff out. Typical setup. 3 X 3/4" inlets with one attached to a draw pipe with ball valve. I built a shelf on the side and attached a bottle opener. I installed a 3" River Country thermometer on the front. There is a 2" chimney on the top and I am waiting for rain cap off an old tractor to come in the mail that will go on top as a damper. Inside are two weber 22.5" grills and a charcoal basket made out of expanded steel and attached to an 8" smokey joe charcoal grate. I painted it with high temp flat black. Looking forward to using it!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #4640
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Nice drum Bear. Any issues with temp control from the intake being so high?
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #4641
Toyotatruckin
Found some matches.

Hey bear same gauge I bought 3" adjustable River Country ebay 18.95 shipped, nicer and cheaper than the last temp gauge I bought local---
Quote:
I placed my 2 1/4" intake pipe on mine and put 2 --3/4 intakes capped JUST IN CASE--didnt want to go back later for any reason and 15 min of drilling/welding and the 3 or 4 bucks i spent didnt kill me any
Toyotatruckin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #4642
country bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
Nice drum Bear. Any issues with temp control from the intake being so high?
so far so good. I have to do more testing before I throw a $20 piece of meat on it. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #4643
country bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotatruckin View Post
Hey bear same gauge I bought 3" adjustable River Country ebay 18.95 shipped, nicer and cheaper than the last temp gauge I bought local---

I placed my 2 1/4" intake pipe on mine and put 2 --3/4 intakes capped JUST IN CASE--didnt want to go back later for any reason and 15 min of drilling/welding and the 3 or 4 bucks i spent didnt kill me any
Yeah, so far the gauge has been great. That is a huge intake pipe! Work well? I just hope I dont have to size mine up.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #4644
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

I'll keep that guage in mind as well. I just bought a Spicewine that was $20 but was 10 frikkin bucks just to ship it! I can buy a nice butt with $10!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #4645
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Nice drum country bear!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #4646
bingo1912
Take a breath!

Nice drum Bear.
I particularly like the high temp paint. keeps it from getting discoloration all over it, although it would be nice if the paint manufacturers could come up with something other than black.
G

Old 01-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #4647
bingo1912
Take a breath!

Very Kewl design. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #4648
Toyotatruckin
Found some matches.

Quote:
Yeah, so far the gauge has been great. That is a huge intake pipe! Work well? I just hope I dont have to size mine up.
it should be plenty, I have a welder so the set-up I have cost much less than buying a ball valve. Saved money on the chain handle to ---FREE---I should be giving it the test run this weekend (possibly sooner) and will report back on how it works--uncle-in-law raises pigs so I think I may raid his freezer!!
Toyotatruckin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #4649
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

It was mentioned a couple hundred pages ago, that automotive engine paint comes in multiple colors and can withstand high temps.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #4650
stiffy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1912 View Post
Nice drum Bear.
I particularly like the high temp paint. keeps it from getting discoloration all over it, although it would be nice if the paint manufacturers could come up with something other than black.
G
Just use any engine paint that you could pick up at your local automotive store, those are heat resistant also.
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker