KCBS name change

B

butts

Has any one else seen the recent board meeting minutes about changing the name of the KCBS?

It seems as though Troy Black wants to change the name and change the marketing scheme of the KCBS. I'm not for or against it...just wondering what others think about it?:confused:

I understand some of the reasoning behind it.... but I'm not sure I buy where that might take things.

Troy is the Chairman of the Marketing Committee for KCBS.
We asked Troy start the search to obtained the services of a marketing firm to help KCBS with plans into the future. Among the items we are looking at is the possiblity of a name change, sponsorship, getting info to media, those items marketing would handle.

We have obtained the services of a marketing firm and the work has started.

I like the name, as it says something more about type of barbecue than location to me. However, I HATE the logo!

cmcadams said:
I like the name, as it says something more about type of barbecue than location to me. However, I HATE the logo!

Disclosure: I am not a memmber of KCBS, but am a member of a local barbecue association that primarily competes in KCBS sanctioned events.

Also, with all due respect, I can NOT STAND the logo. I think this is important to have a professional, quality, timeless logo, and to me the current one is none of those.

I also would not mind a potential name change, but do not have huge feelings one way or another on it.

G$ said:
Disclosure: I am not a memmber of KCBS, but am a member of a local barbecue association that primarily competes in KCBS sanctioned events.

Also, with all due respect, I can NOT STAND the logo. I think this is important to have a professional, quality, timeless logo, and to me the current one is none of those.

I also would not mind a potential name change, but do not have huge feelings one way or another on it.
I'm not a member either, but that logo sucks!!!

bittertruth said:
I'm not a member either, but that logo sucks!!!

That is one way of putting it.

I just feel it is double ironic that the teams (generalization) spend a lot of effort marketing themselves, (particularly in the area of logos, many of which I also do not care for, but at least they appear thought out and professionally rendered) and KCBS by appearances does not.

Oh my gosh... I had never seen that logo before but had to go look at it after seeing it mentioned several times. What a laugher that one is. I cannot believe how pitiful!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I too think the logo sucks but that is an old logo that Gary Wells is very fond of. Gary is the main man as far as founding KCBS so that's why it remains. I hope that it will now change but that's the history.

As for the name, well I did think it needed changing a few years ago but the name has morphed from Kansas City Barbeque Society into KCBS and the organization has clearly became national so I think the problem solved itself.

As in sponsorship, I hope that does not mean "The Kingsford KCBS" for example. Turn in to something thing like the College Bowls did with the name.

I've never been a big fan of change just for the sake of change.
"Worlds Best BBQ Society?" We used to be the KCBS......
ModelMaker

There is an awful lot of value in that brand. I'd think a change would have to be well thought out.

SP said:
As in sponsorship, I hope that does not mean "The Kingsford KCBS" for example. Turn in to something thing like the College Bowls did with the name.

They can keep it as "KCBS" ... the "Kingsford Charcoal Briquet Society" and no one needs to be the wiser! :wink:

drbbq said:
Don't get me wrong, I too think the logo sucks but that is an old logo that Gary Wells is very fond of. Gary is the main man as far as founding KCBS so that's why it remains. I hope that it will now change but that's the history.

As for the name, well I did think it needed changing a few years ago but the name has morphed from Kansas City Barbeque Society into KCBS and the organization has clearly became national so I think the problem solved itself.

I figured there was history behind the logo. Good point about KCBS vs. Kansas City .etc etc. However, we all still know KFC is Kentucky Fried Chicken, despite what the marketers say.

Not an easy decision, I certainly see value in retaining the name brand, but there may be value in expanding it as well.

When you talk about barbecue, though, there are usually a few areas that are used to define types of barbecue... The Carolinas (with even more distinction locally), Texas bbq, Memphis bbq and Kansas City bbq... So I don't have a problem with the name, and think a name change would be detrimental as lots of people know of the KCBS now.

I also understand the history, but just because a founder was fond of it doesn't mean that it should be the logo that represents the organization. How many commercials do you see that have the CEO on them that are just horrible commercials? Most of those make me wonder why they continue doing their commercials. If the appeal is to more than the founders and their families, then I think other things should be considered. I've just always thought the current one is bad... I don't even know what that guy has on his fork!

As a member ans psuedo-outsider looking in, I think KCBS is already a well established brand among us and those who compete. What needs to happen is marketing of the brand. As far as the logo goes, I could care less either way. It looks like something that was created before the digital age and before the idea of major national recognition was thought of. I could be wrong, I have no idea of how old the logo is.

I just think the major problem with all the different ancioning bodies, KCBS, FBS, etc don't advertise themselves or their events enough. I've lived in the Lakeland(central Florida) area all my life and didn't even know there was such a thing until about 2-3 years ago, maybe around the same time I joined this group. And we hold one of the largest KCBS events in the country.

Just my thoughts. I think the change needs to come in marketing more than anything.

Harbormaster said:
North American Barbeque Society (NABS)
And for the LOVE OF GOD LOSE THE LOGO!

I know Canada has a few teams and nothing against them but I think the "North American" would be bad. There is a Canadian Baseball team that competes in an American league. There are Canadian hockey teams competing in a league based in the U.S. so no big deal for Dizzy Pig North to compete in an American BBQ "league".

Here are my thoughts (for what they're worth) coming from my marketing background. I think it would be a huge mistake to abandon a name you've used for 20 years. The competitions have grown tremendously under this name. Like has been mentioned above a few times, I believe keeping the name the same and adopting an aggressive marketing campaign with a "meaty" logo (no pun intended) and attractive Web site is the answer. If ANY change is necessary, get rid of "Society" and call it an "association", "alliance", "federation" or something of the sort. Society sounds like we're sitting around reading poetry or something. The NFL has an "official beer". Why not have an official SOMETHING in BBQ? Beer would work for me! :wink:

Although I'm not sure BBQ contests are an ideal thing to try to develop into a spectator competition, I think to attract good sponsorship, you need to have the public attend. I would support a fund being set up (or take it out of a sanctioning fee the organizers pay) and give back a pre-designed advertisement that is "personalized" for each particular contest so they can run this ad in the local newspapers. There could also be credits to organizers for advertising their contests on radio and TV. How about creating some media packets to distribute to organizers and reps?

What happens when the public gets there? My opinion is there needs to be a way for the public to be able to sample more of our cooking, whether we like it or not. The public attracts sponsors and more sponsors means better payouts. We all have a responsibility to help promote the competitions at our camps. I think this means making ourselves more accessible to the public to visit and answer questions as they come by. I know I am guilty of "looking busy" at times so people might just move on and not stop if I'm wanting to party or whatever. In my limited experience, the best I've seen at doing things the right way is Spicewine's team. You guys are always visiting with people who are walking by and make an effort to go to every cook camp and introduce yourself as a team. I think that's fantastic. We need more people who do it like you guys do. And I'm one of the worst when it comes to doing the opposite. I plan to do better at that in 2007. (Call it a BBQ Resolution!:lol: )

I think there should also be some sort of "presentation" at contests (obviously not all of them) where the public can sit down and have someone explain to them as a group what the process is at contests. And to explain the judging rules and talk about the standards by which we're judged (as taught by the CBJ program). I'd also like to see the Web site for KCBS expanded and promoted to the public with more educational stuff the public can use.

So how does this get funded? I would be willing to pay twice or more what I pay now to be a member of KCBS. More money in the coffers means more services and promotions, more publicity and as a result more sponsors and higher payouts.

Oh and I think we need team trading cards... :twisted:

Jeff_in_KC said:

I am going to put my Lotta Bull BBQ, Mike and Debbie Davis rookie card on e-bay tonight. you may bid or buy it for $10,000.00.
Merl

Jeff_in_KC said:
I know Canada has a few teams and nothing against them but I think the "North American" would be bad. There is a Canadian Baseball team that competes in an American league. There are Canadian hockey teams competing in a league based in the U.S. so no big deal for Dizzy Pig North to compete in an American BBQ "league".

Here are my thoughts (for what they're worth) coming from my marketing background. I think it would be a huge mistake to abandon a name you've used for 20 years. The competitions have grown tremendously under this name. Like has been mentioned above a few times, I believe keeping the name the same and adopting an aggressive marketing campaign with a "meaty" logo (no pun intended) and attractive Web site is the answer. If ANY change is necessary, get rid of "Society" and call it an "association", "alliance", "federation" or something of the sort. Society sounds like we're sitting around reading poetry or something. The NFL has an "official beer". Why not have an official SOMETHING in BBQ? Beer would work for me! :wink:

Although I'm not sure BBQ contests are an ideal thing to try to develop into a spectator competition, I think to attract good sponsorship, you need to have the public attend. I would support a fund being set up (or take it out of a sanctioning fee the organizers pay) and give back a pre-designed advertisement that is "personalized" for each particular contest so they can run this ad in the local newspapers. There could also be credits to organizers for advertising their contests on radio and TV. How about creating some media packets to distribute to organizers and reps?

What happens when the public gets there? My opinion is there needs to be a way for the public to be able to sample more of our cooking, whether we like it or not. The public attracts sponsors and more sponsors means better payouts. We all have a responsibility to help promote the competitions at our camps. I think this means making ourselves more accessible to the public to visit and answer questions as they come by. I know I am guilty of "looking busy" at times so people might just move on and not stop if I'm wanting to party or whatever. In my limited experience, the best I've seen at doing things the right way is Spicewine's team. You guys are always visiting with people who are walking by and make an effort to go to every cook camp and introduce yourself as a team. I think that's fantastic. We need more people who do it like you guys do. And I'm one of the worst when it comes to doing the opposite. I plan to do better at that in 2007. (Call it a BBQ Resolution!:lol: )

I think there should also be some sort of "presentation" at contests (obviously not all of them) where the public can sit down and have someone explain to them as a group what the process is at contests. And to explain the judging rules and talk about the standards by which we're judged (as taught by the CBJ program). I'd also like to see the Web site for KCBS expanded and promoted to the public with more educational stuff the public can use.

So how does this get funded? I would be willing to pay twice or more what I pay now to be a member of KCBS. More money in the coffers means more services and promotions, more publicity and as a result more sponsors and higher payouts.

Okay, I was joking before, but I'm serious now... Jeff_in_KC for KCBS Board. There are more ideas in this thread than most of the candidate bios in the BullSheet. Some of those bios were weak!

Maybe the Official Whatever of BBQ (okay, beer) could be an automatic sponsor at sanctioned contests. Get the local beer distributor to provide a twelve pack to each team. Bud did that one year at the Missouri State fair. I think we got a case of beer or something. Get the KCBS sponsors to help the local contests. That's being a good Sanctioning organization.

Team Trading Cards. That's funny! You've given me an Idea, Jeff. I may have to go back out to the gallery on your Web site.

Back