MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thumbs up My Weekend With My Mostly New WSM - Thanks Moose!

A while back, Moose gave ma a lid to a 22.5 WSM, which at some point I was gonna mod to fit my UDS, but me, being me, never did it. A year or 2 passes and now Moose gives me a charcoal bowl and body for a WSM. I ordered replacement parts (grates, ring, etc.) and fired it up Friday nite for a dry run. Used Trader Joe's briqs (which is Rancher) as the fuel.

Yesterday I cooked a chix on it - brined it in a brine that had BPS Jallelujah jalapeno salt, then dusted the chix with the same stuff.

Here's the cooker next to my first love, my '93 22.5 kettle.

Gave it a shot running it with an empty pan - seemed to lead to heavy smoke, esp. for chix - you can see the skin is a little tough on the legs there. After I hit around 170 in the thigh, I held it covered in a pan in a 150 degree oven for a while, which helped with the skin. It was pretty dang good - smoke was heavy, but the Jallelujah salt shined through very nicely and made for a nice tasting chix.

Did some whole spares today. I normally do ribs dry, but I've glazed the last couple racks after eating lcbateman3's mighty fine - and sauced - ribs. The rub was BPS Money rub (with a little foundation layer of BPS Garlic Salt). Glaze was Blues Hog cut with habenero jelly, and a light dusting with BPS Happy Ending Finishing Rub when I pulled 'em off the cooker. Ran it with water in the pan this time - I liked that much better. I'm probably gonna go get some sand this week and give that a run.

I was feeling nutty, so I hit some almonds with butter and the jalapeno salt and smoked 'em. I'll know what they taste like better tomorrow - smoked almonds seem kinda flavorless to me on the days I cook them, and the next day is when I know what they really taste like.

All in all a pretty dang delicious weekend.

Thanks for looking!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Last edited by gtr; 10-14-2013 at 12:23 AM..
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

"The rub was BPS Money rub (with a little foundation layer of BPS Garlic Salt). Glaze was Blues Hog cut with habenero jelly, and a light dusting with BPS Happy Ending Finishing salt"

I have been using dry rub s,p,go,cayenne, and sauce on my ribs. You have layers of flavor I am gonna have to get more creative, They look and sound great!

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
gtr

Thanks! I'm actually a big fan of simple and straightforward, but I like to change it up from time to time - and I'm guessing my family likes it when I change things up - I catch myself feeding them the same ol' thing sometimes.

BTW I mis-typed - I meant to say "BPS Happy Ending Finishing Rub" rather than "BPS...Salt".
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice all the way around! Those almonds look crazy good.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
Phubar

Yum!
Have Phun with your new toy!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

That ll looks great!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That's one way to get a WSM going!
That all looks really good

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I'd say your'e 3-for-3. Nice looking cooks. Thanks for the almond idea!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
chambersuac

Everything looks tasty from here. If ya don't get the sand, try making fist-sized balls of foil and filling the pan 1/2-3/4 then covering with a couple layers of foil (those are for easy cleanup) works well for me. YMMV

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
deguerre

Three Cheers For Moose!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
aawa
Babbling Farker

I would hit all 3 of those in a heartbeat.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

A most excellent cook my Tenne-Cali brother! Gonna have to try out a few of those techniques myself!
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Looks great gtr!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks like some mighty fine eats right there. Congrats on the new cooker brother. I know you needed another one.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Looks real good to me!