Lamb ribs - ideas?

hominamad

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Was at a Turkish butcher a few weeks ago and they had some beautiful looking, fresh butchered lamb ribs for sale. I believe they are spare ribs.

I picked up 3 racks of them and froze them that night. Am thinking about defrosting and smoking these over the weekend.

Anyone have any good ideas of how to approach these? Was thinking of treating them the same as pork spare ribs as far as cooking temps and time goes. Maybe 3-2-1 method, around 225 heat? Not sure if this makes sense for these or not.

For spicing, was thinking of doing something simple - maybe just salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of thyme or rosemary. Maybe when wrapping them I'll put some kind of liquid in. Not sure what kind of wood I should use also.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome!

You have a pretty good plan I'd skip the 3-2-1 BS and go neked at 275 They are hard to get here but I have cooked them a few times and that is the way I do them. Thye are good eats fer sure. Google KY Style BBQ they do allot of Mutton up there and use a Black BBQ sauce heavy on the Wooster sauce.

this is typical of Owensboro style

Ingredients:

• 4 cups water
  • 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/3 cup vinegar
  • 1 tablespoons black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 tablespoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic
Preparation:

Mix all ingredients together in a large saucepan over a low heat. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve on the table as a dipping sauce. You can also use this sauce as a baste on smoked lamb.

I prefer them smoked for an hour, then braised in Middle Eastern/Chinese spices. But, they are delicious just smoked as well. I like a little (very little) cinnamon and allspice added to a basic rub.

Back